Warren’s College Tuition Plans Find Strange Opposition

But he loves you, buddy.

Senator Professor Warren made a power move and announced her plan to make college more affordable AND to cancel $640 billion of the $1.5 trillion in student debt that is currently outstanding.

NYTimes:

“Ms. Warren’s sweeping plan has several planks. She would pay for it with revenue generated by her proposed increase in taxes for America’s most wealthy families and corporations, which the campaign estimates to be $2.75 trillion over 10 years. In addition to eliminating undergraduate tuition at public colleges and universities, she would expand federal grants to help students with nontuition expenses and create a $50 billion fund to support historically black colleges and universities. She would eliminate up to $50,000 in student loan debt for every person with a household income of less than $100,000; borrowers who make between $100,000 and $250,000 would have a portion of their debt forgiven.”

It’s pretty great, but paying for this depends upon a big change in the (un)fairness of our tax policies, and unless she gets the Senate to turn Blue, too, has no chance of becoming reality. But it does lay out in stark terms how the American Dream (if it ever existed) is rigged against us.

Warren’s plan would eliminate some barriers to education access, and it would give working class Americans more opportunities to own homes, start businesses, and improve credit scores. This is totally stimulating the economy, and you’d think that trickle-downers would see that? It’s the same principle, right?

Not surprisingly, the Moonie-owned The Washington Examiner is opposed and says that “Warren’s plan to cancel student loan debt would be a slap in the face to all those who struggled to pay off their loans.”

That is about the dumbest argument for keeping the status quo that I can imagine, sort of like arguing that ending slavery would be a slap in the face to the descendants of slaves. But I digress…

Not that I want to pile on, but later in the NYTimes article:

“The idea has been dismissed by some more moderate candidates seeking the Democratic nomination for president, like Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind. “Americans who have a college degree earn more than Americans who don’t,” Mr. Buttigieg said while addressing college students in Boston. “As a progressive, I have a hard time getting my head around the idea of a majority who earn less because they didn’t go to college subsidizing a minority who earn more because they did.”

Really tone deaf, you guys. This is the first really obvious mistake I’ve seen Mayor Pete make.

This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren, Pete Buttigieg. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Warren’s College Tuition Plans Find Strange Opposition

1. Dennis Cole says:

How can all the other industrialized nations do it, how is it THEY can offer free, or low tuition, and Universal Health Care? I can answer that with one word – WAR. None of those countries are at “war” all around the world like US, and none of them spend anywhere close to the insane amounts we do on military might. And what do we have to show for it? A nation in decline, in everything from longevity to health care to the environment and education. But by golly, we sure can kick some ass………….except in those regions where we can’t seem to get it right, or we’re killing more civilians than combatants, while racking up record profits for companies like Raytheon and McDonnell/Douglas.
    Few remember Eisenhower’s admonitions against the Military-Industrial complex, but he was correct in saying that every dollar spent on bombs or bullets is a dollar wasted, that we’ll never get back.

• If only he’d had the courage to make that speech while he could do something about it Man spent eight years overseeing building the foundation and first floor of the MIC…using his credibility as the Supreme Allied Commander in WWII to do it.

I truly believe he indeed thought it was a danger, but in the end he’s a lot like those Republicans who decry the party’s direction after they helped steer it that way for their entire careers.

2. Jesus fuck that is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard an alleged ‘progressive’ say.

That’s up there with Frothy Mixture calling Obama a “snob” because he encouraged people to go to College. Seriously. And he said this TO College students.

(Not to mention that the previous generations got to go to College cheap precisely because everyone helped subsidize them…the REASON we have the fucking student loan crisis in THE FIRST GODDAMN PLACE is because they decided to stop doing that.

Remember when the California State system was free to residents?)

I myself benefitted by enormous state subsidies: residents could go to the University for $225 per semester for registration, about $1100-$1200 in today’s dollars.

My last two years were when they started ratcheting up the costs, went from $225 to $1250 per semester; I ended up coming out of College (1982) with about $4 grand in student loans. Took me about 5-6 years to pay them off, because I graduated into the teeth of the recession (Thanks Ronnie!) but it wasn’t a killer.

We’d have a HELL of a lot more college graduates able to buy houses and shit if they could do that today.

BDR –

Word. I don’t know how anyone can pay off college tuition loans now. It was hard enough when we were coming up.

3. Astamari says:

My father came from a very poor immigrant family that was further savaged by the Great Depression. But he joined the Navy in WW II and promptly took advantage of the GI Bill of Rights to get free tuition at college. It totally transformed his life but if had been forced to pay full freight he would probably have ended up as a postman, which is what his uneducated father wanted him to be.

4. Dennis Cole says:

Want to win the “War on Poverty?” It’s simple – just eliminate the Poor. That’s right, just get rid of them. Wait, did you think I meant to load them in boxcars, and ship them somewhere to be gotten rid of? Not at all; what I meant was eliminate monetary inequality by dragging the ultra-wealthy and just the common, ordinary, everyday wealthy down to the level of the Upper-middle-class, and spread the money around in the form of GBIs*, truly affordable housing, plentiful, affordable food, and Universal Health Care, so that practically no one has to suffer, or starve, or spend even one night without a roof over their heads.

But that would take a Revolution on the scale of 1776, and who wants that, or something akin to the Civil War? It seems the only choices we have are a somewhat violent takeover, or submission to the status Quo.

*GBI – Guaranteed Basic Income

PS – eliminating student debt would give the economy such a jolt that part of the backlash, or blowback would be rampant inflation, in which case the Fed would have to begin raising interest rates in order to slow things down a bit. Never Forget The Law of Unintended Consequences.

5. laura says:

Mayor Pete is defining himself as a candidate to be considered, and found wanting….
    Again, with my shiny nickel wager that Pete edge edge can go join seth and Ryan in the line that’s forming on the party’s right to establish the neo Republicans when the actual Republicans are reduced to a greasy skidmark.

Laura –

I’m told that there is a lot to like about Mayor Pete, and sooner or later we’ll know what it is.

• laura says:

Read his book! I hear he comes out looking good in it.

“Fox News will host a town hall with Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, the network announced Tuesday, making him the third Democrat to sit down with the network at length. Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace will moderate the town hall, which is set for May 19 and will be held in Claremont, N.H.” — POLITICO

A generation ago, Mayor Pete would have been a rockerfeller republican (and I’m sure that there were plenty of gay country-club republicans); but I’ve also long said that Obama would have been a rockerfeller republican, too/also. It’s not disqualifying, per se, but it is wrong for the moment.

6. laurad says:

What the ever loving what!?!
    Pete edge edge can move over into the more right column for validating pravda.
    The J D Vanceification of the stale, pale, male candidates makes my heart hurt.
    For fucks sake, they want to out baby Maria in a cage, and are super cool with enriching our overlords!
    We. Have. No. Business. Propping. Up. That. Business.

7. MDavis says:

Speaking of head wrapping, or whatever, “I have a hard time getting my head around the idea of a majority who earn less because they didn’t go to college subsidizing a minority who earn more because they did.”
    Did I read this wrong? Warren wants to finance her school loan reform by taxing people who could literally swim in their money a la Scrooge McDuck, throw away all the money they touched while doing that, and then go buy a new mansion with some of that cash and put the rest back in the “bank”, all the while still remaining multi-billionaires without including their real estate holdings – and Pete is claiming the plan is to make low earners subsidize education for higher earners. Is that about right?

You didn’t read it incorrectly, MDavis. It reeks of Clinton-era triangulation to me.

Not that I dislike Mayor Pete, I always find polymaths amazing, but I really don’t think that the moment requires another white guy, let alone one that seems to be adopting a friendlier version of Republican lite, and quite frankly one who embraces his faith so tightly.

Anyway, he might make a fine VP pick for a woman president, or a woman president of color, but I cannot see him going the distance. If he does and it is him vs. Pol POTUS, well, of course I’ll go with Mayor Pete.

• MDavis says:

OK, then. I was afraid I’d accidentally taken crazy pills or something.

• Dennis Cole says:

MDavis – accidently? I take them crazy pills ON PURPOSE, alla time these days; it’s the ONLY way I can keep from having a psychotic meltdown.
        (Which brand, or type do you prefer, btw?)

• MDavis says:

Umm… I think the “crazy pills” that work the best for me right now are animated movies and animated shows. Oh, and also books. Reading the Bloggess right now (Let’s Pretend This Never Happened) and have a Christopher Moore on back up.
        It’s an escape from reality that doesn’t leave much hangover. Also, no rant about who should die today for their crimes, like some alternate crazy pills, that actually come in pill (or bottle) form. So, I get escape and also get to keep commenting on MPS. It’s a win-win.

• MDavis says:

Isn’t there a country song about that? Crazy is better than insane, just ask Waylon Jennings (a DID sufferer, if his videos are a clue)

8. Dennis Cole says:

MDavis – what a coincidence! I’ve been following Jenny for quite a while now, and I’m currently reading “Lamb – the Gospel according to Biff, Christ’s boyhood friend,” by Moore. It’s a hoot! And the cannabis-infused brownies are my preferred dessert.

• MDavis says:

I started on “Secondhand Souls” before I realized it was a series – so I got into Jenny”s book before I found “A Dirty Job” – it’s now waiting in the wings.
      I got turned on to Moore one Christmas when our mutual friend, Tengrain, recommended “The Stupidest Angel” as a charming Christmas story – which it was, in a demented sort of way. So now Moore is on my permanent list of must-read authors and my hubby once told me that he thinks he talked to the Blogess’s husband once. Found him on line, by accident, said something silly (quoting the Bloggess) and got hung up on.
      Hubby can be a real hoot sometimes.

“Second Hand Souls” will confuse you if you have not read “A Dirty Job” first; it’s practically inside baseball without it. Dirty Job can be read alone (though there is one scene that overlaps with one of the books in the vampire trilogy that is really interesting). Also, Dirty Job is where he really lays out his theory of the Beta Male. An enterprising grad student could write a thesis on how that plays out in all of Moore’s work. It’s like his organizing principle.

I recommend his latest book, “Noir,” as a stand-alone read. It’s set in the Red Scare post WW2 era of SF (trigger alert: sexism and institutional racism from that era are faithfully represented; read the endnotes for his explanation), and has nary a supernatural thing in it, except for… Naw, I don’t want to spoil it. But I did laugh out loud several times.

• MDavis says:

Thanks! I’m planning on going back to “Secondhand Souls” after finishing “Dirty Job”.
        I suspect I’ll need the mind-altering effects this month, so I’ll probably even finish the books… something that has become sadly uncertain for me over the past couple of years.

• MDavis says:

Oh, yeah, and the last time I tried THC it was illegal and I was totally miserable, clumsy and unable to hold a train of thought with a leash for, like, twelve hours, man, until it got out of my system enough to function again. It seems to work well for some people, but not me.

• Dennis Cole says:

Just wondering if Sir (St.) Terry Pratchett is on your list. If he isn’t, then you should start at the beginning of his “Discworld” series, and then wend your way through to the final 5 novels he wrote in collaboration with Stephen Baxter, and from there you could branch off to wherever.
        But if you ARE familiar with him, congrats, and you don’t need me to tell you what to read.

• MDavis says:

MosDef a Sir Terry fan. I think the first one I read of his was “Strata” in SF&F – probably, because it wasn’t really an Analog style story – but I really got going when a character in another SF&F was reading Pratchett while he was waiting for our protaganists in the get-out-of-here car. I think they were looking for green people – SF&F, whaddayagonnado.