What Could Go Wrong When Pigs Fly Boeing 737 MAX Style?

When Pigs Fly

In all their wisdom, the 4th Reich has decided to shift responsibility for meat-safety inspections from George Ervin “Sonny” Perdue III’s Department of Agriculture to the pork industry itself:

“President Donald Trump’s US Department of Agriculture is close to finalizing a plan that would allow those lines to move even faster, reports the Washington Post’s Kimberly Kindy. The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service is currently responsible for overseeing the kill line, making sure that tainted meat doesn’t enter the food supply. The plan would partially privatize federal oversight of pork facilities, cutting the number of federal inspectors by about 40 percent and replacing them with plant employees, Kindy adds. In other words, the task of ensuring the safety of the meat supply will largely shift from people paid by the public to people being paid by the meat industry.”

Upton Sinclair is spinning in his grave writing a new prologue to The Jungle.

You’ve seen Comrade Trump fly, now watch him inspect food. What could go wrong?

This entry was posted in Food Safety. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What Could Go Wrong When Pigs Fly Boeing 737 MAX Style?

1. ming says:

I’m an omnivore, but I don’t eat any meat (chicken, eggs, beef) that we did not raise or that I don’t know where it came from. And I don’t eat Pork. Pigs are too smart for my comfort. The needless cruelty in our food system is disgusting as is the sanitation. You can count on both being worse if big Ag is policing itself.

I used to belong to a CSA in California that sourced meat from old-school, pasture-raised, locally owned/operated family ranches and farms. On several occaisions I was even the person who went to pick up the cut&packaged meat to bring back to the rest of the members. The cost of the entire animal per pound worked out to be much less than buying the equivalent amount at the grocery store. I suppose the cost of the chest freezer in the garage should be added into the calculus, but…

Anyway, my point is that there are ways around our disgusting factory-farmed foods. I admire your ethics Ming. I wish more Americans were like you.

• ming says:

It is probably easier for me to manage my food choices than it is for most people. My wife runs a poultry/egg/vegetable CSA., my neighbors raise cattle, and I still know a couple of people who fish commercially. It would not be easy to do for anyone living pay check to pay check in any of the food deserts that cover most of the country. Food scarcity and crappy choices are not problems of production, 1/3 of all food produced is wasted globally. Industrial farming, large-scale processing, and our distribution system are disasters for the environment, peoples health, and the affected animals. I’m a big proponent of local sustainable food webs.

2. Nangleator says:

Just curious… anyone know how long it will take adults (assuming they grab the remote back from the screaming toddlers) to put these things back in their place?

Nangleator –

It would require fully funding departments that the GOP has cut to drown the gubmint in the bathtub, probably since the Feast of Saint Ronnie.

So, that probably would require significant revenue increases, the likes of which AOC has been calling for.

I’m sure the documentation and training materials for food safety inspectors still exists, but there would need to be ramp-up time for training them.

It was a decades-long mess to make, and it will take a long time to fix.

3. Dennis Cole says:

And in today’s news comes a revelation that the pilot and co-pilot of the Ethiopian Airlines 737 did everything they were instructed to do – per Boeing’s instructors, and manuals – and likely had as much as four absolutely frightening minutes before the aircraft slammed into the ground at high speed. Makes me really, really glad I haven’t flown for more than a decade, and do not plan on doing so ever again.
    De-regulation = death. And I don’t care if it’s only one, that’s still too many.

4. Karla says:

Makes me glad to be vegetarian. If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d be vegan.
    Not that the veggies are much safer, with lack of inspection, tainted water, etc., but at least they cause somewhat less harm to the environment.

5. moeman says:

Don’t fuck with bacon!

6. MDavis says:

We have a couple of local butchers who either source locally or grow their own. We don’t always buy there. It is part lazy, part other issues seem to eclipse this one. But we do go to the butchers for our meat, mostly.
    I feel so inadequate.