News That Will Drive You To Drink

Happy Hour News Briefs

Oh, Jeebus, he said what?

“For many people who live in the West, but also in rural and urban areas, the ideas behind the Green New Deal are tantamount to genocide. That may be an overstatement, but not by a whole lot.” –Congressman Rob Bishop (R-Utah)

He seems reasonable!

Anyway, thank Daewg that Axios decided to fact-check ol’ Rob to find out if this was more hysteria and hyperbole, or perhaps there is some Final Solution overtones! (Strange emboldening and idiosyncratic bullet use is all theirs)

Reality check: The Green New Deal is not at all related to genocide, which is defined as “the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.” Instead, it’s a sweeping progressive goal, supported by prominent freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and many Democrats, of reducing greenhouse gas emissions along with other policies, like a federal jobs guarantee and universal healthcare.

Phew! I was afraid I didn’t know what genocide meant!

The intrigue: I caught up with Bishop after the press conference to ask him to elaborate on his comments. Here’s our exchange.

• Axios: Genocide is defined as “the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.” How is the Green New Deal like genocide?
  • Bishop: I’m an ethnic. I’m a westerner.
  • Axios: And you think the Green New Deal is going to kill you?
  • Bishop: If you actually implement everything they want to. Killing would be positive if you implement everything the Green New Deal actually wants to. That’s why the the Green New Deal is not ready for prime time.

Bottom line: Genocide has nothing to do with this debate, so invoking the term could further inflame the already deep partisan divide over climate change.

“I’m an ethnic.”

You really cannot get much of anything past Jimmy Olsen , er, Axios! Thanks guys for this breathless reporting!

And in case you think I’m making up this whole genocide nuttiness, here is the Pride of Utah, Rob Bishop hisself, telling us that the hamberder is an endangered species:

And then he proceeds to talk before a mic with his mouth full of it.

“If this goes through, this will be outlawed. I can no longer eat this kind of thing. So before they take it away from me, before it’s illegal and an endangered species, I’m actually going to enjoy this a whole lot more than I would the Green New Deal.”

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to News That Will Drive You To Drink

1. Lsamsa says:

Seems rather a suspicious sideways look from the fellow holding the sign.

2. Sirius Lunacy says:

Either he’s one of those rage Uncles you hear so much about our he hates his grandchildren. Or both or everything.

4. donnah says:

Honestly, how do these people get around all by themselves? They seem too fucking stupid to even dress themselves. Hey, fat man, nobody wants to take your damned hamburgers away from you! But if I’m being honest, maybe you could try a salad every once in a while.

Sad thing is, other people will believe him.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Sending ‘economically anxious’ white people to die in coal mines to prevent their genocide…

6. Jim says:

This Bishop guy is against creating a lot of new jobs, reducing pollution and making sure his state does not end up as another version of the Mojave Desert because that is the most likely climate scenario for most of the western states for his grandkids. So it’s not the GND that will cause “genocide”; it’s climate change itself.

7. sjclark35 says:

Did I hear correctly? Did he call the hamburger place ‘Obama’s favorite place’?

8. Buttermilk Sky says:

What about meatloaf? Are they coming for our meatloaf too? Never again!

9. TheOtherHank says:

I’ve never seen (or heard of) this guy before. But I just have to say, the part on his wig could have been placed much better.

10. Pyed says:

What Bishop (R-Morlock) tried to say was Big Oil would take a hit, petroleum prices would rise and he could no longer afford the grease for his handberder,

It’s all in a kind of code they speak. You have to throw away the vowels and only listen to the consonants.