Sentencing Today! – UPDATED

“I hear Curaçao is nice.”

Petting zoo meets bad taste empresario Paul Manafort is back in court today to receive the sentencing for his second trial; we hope that Judge Jackson serves justice today. Also/too: Jackson is the same judge on the Roger Stone matter.

Manafort has shown an “ongoing contempt for and a belief that he had the right to manipulate these proceedings and the Court’s order did not apply to him. All of this is a problem to me because the Court is one of those places where facts still matter.”

“Saying I’m sorry I got caught is not an inspiring plea for leniency.”

UPDATE 1: the AG in NY has indicted Manafort, and that’s beyond Prznint Stupid’s pardoning power:

This entry was posted in Paul 'Putin's Pal' Manafort. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sentencing Today! – UPDATED

1. Dennis Cole says:

Maths. The struggle is real. Let me count the ways: 47 months in the first sentencing, 60 minus 30 – for the concurrent sentence – in the second, makes 77, and carry the two, add 13, and come out in 7 & 1/2 years. Not exactly life, but then again, if he’s not everybody’s favorite soap-picker-upper, IYKWIMAITYD, he just might get the punishment he so sorely (see what I did there?) deserves.

• 9thousandfeet says:

Hmmm
      47 months from last week, subtract 9 for time served, leaves 38 months.
      Today is 60 for the first count, 13 for the second, which = a total of 73 additional, but 30 of them are concurrent with the the 38 from before, so they don’t up the count at all.
      Total is therefore 81 months. Assuming he’s not pardoned he’ll be out in about 45 probably.

But, also, he was just this minute indicted by the State of NY for real estate fraud, which Der Füror can’t help him with at all, so there’s that.

• Dennis Cole says:

So if he IS pardoned, then the 38, which is the leftover from the 47, is Poof! gone, just like that. But since half of the 60 is concurrent, and there is no concurrency, then he has to serve the whole thing, plus the 13? I told you the struggle is real, but thanks for your clarification. I have queried a couple of attorney friends, and pretty much the response is, “We’ll just have to wait and see.”
        Cue the Fat Lady.

• 9thousandfeet says:

I wouldn’t bet the farm, but I think both the 47 (= 38 ‘cos minus the 9 served) AND the 60+13 from today are all Federal sentences, so Der Füror could wave his hand and make them ALL go away. I think that’s right.
        But if he’s convicted in NY State court, or any State court, he’s on the hook for whatever sentence he gets and Trump can’t do a damn thing.
        Though there’s always the appeals process of course.

2. donnah says:

I hope that this isn’t a pardon-worthy sentence. If Trump lets him off the hook, it proves to the rest of Trump’s criminal cohorts that they are under his protective umbrella and if they hold on long enough, they’ll be taken care of. I hope the financial penalties keep this fucker from keeping ill-gotten gains. If he survives prison or gets pardoned, I want him to be broke. He’s a traitor.

3. tengrain says:

I still maintains that Prznint Stupid is a narcissist as well as transactional. I cannot see him offering a pardon unless there is something clearly in it to benefit himself; and I’m not seeing that yet.

Manafort doesn’t doesn’t do anything to him, personally. Whatever good he’s been, it is in his past.