“I now think twice about spending one-on-one time with a young female colleague.” This quote from an unnamed finance executive attending the World Economic Forum in Davos appeared in a New York Times story Sunday about male leaders’ increasing fear, post #MeToo, about interacting with women in the workplace and how this fear has come out in conversations in Davos.
So the plutocrats are taking Mother Pence’s advice and are now avoiding The Skirts they work with?
Look, gents, it’s pretty simple: don’t behave like Les Moonves, Harvey Weinstein and others whose careers have perished because they could not control their urges.
Here’s some advice. Do Not:
- ask anyone who works for you to get their freak on with you.
- come out of a bathroom with your robe undone and Mr. Happy showing.
- hire someone to be on call for BJs.
- bop the bishop in front of anyone you are working with.
- stick your tongue in your coworkers mouths.
But if you cannot promise to avoid doing these things, the problem is not having women colleagues, the problem is you. And if you cannot promise to do these things, sweet Jeebus, you should NOT BE MENTORING ANYONE!