Because We Love A Good Apology…

…And this ain’t one.

But first, let’s get to what he needed to apologize for saying:

And boy-howdy, does the man from Montana step in it. It’s really some of the worst bigoted commentary.

So he tries to walk it back:

You know Tom, that’s not an apology: “I’m sorry some people were offended…” is not good enough. He goes on for many more tweets, but it never feels authentic. He said the stuff he believes, he even reinforces it:

“It’s the intermarriage that is going on and the cultures that are conflicting with each other,” Brokaw said. “I also happen to believe that the Hispanics should work harder at assimilation. That’s one of the things I’ve been saying for a long time.”

You are past your shelf date, NBC please tell us that Brokaw is going to his ranch to enjoy fly fishing far, far, away from the studio and mic, and  and won’t be on again.

This entry was posted in NBC, Pundits who make me crazy. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Because We Love A Good Apology…

1. donnah says:

I heard that interview yesterday and it made my hair stand on end. These archaic old coots should stand down and keep their bigoted comments to themselves. “Brown grandbabies”? Eyeroll.

Donnah – it was so jarring especially after seeing the Kamala Harris rally in Oakland. He’s ready to go to Gawd’s Waiting Room.

2. Nangleator says:

I wonder if some of his best friends are Hispanic. I’m sure THAT would excuse any bigotry…

3. Dennis Cole says:

Whoa, Tom! Don’t tell me you’ve never attended a St. Patrick’s Day parade, or went to a dinner-dance sponsored by Italian-Americans, or Jewish-Americans, or something similar. The Hispanic people have a heritage going back for CENTURIES, and are quite proud of it – as they should be. And our country is what, about 245 years old? Ever drink a Mexican beer on Cinco de Mayo, while scarfing down a delicious taco?

And where are YOUR grandparents, or great-grandparents from? I realize they probably worked quite hard, to learn the English language, as well as at whatever jobs they had, but I’m sure they talked their native tongue when they got back home each night. Assimilation takes time, and I’m all for it, but I also enjoy watching festive troupes from different countries perform native dances in their native costumes. And I’m VERY lucky to live in a community that sponsors so many of those type of events. It gives me a greater appreciation for how they are so different, yet so similar to us, in that ALL cultures love to celebrate, each in their own way, and preserving those cultures and their histories is of EXTREME importance…….to most of us, anyway.

• Jim says:

Unfortunately, Brokaw is a British name so his ancestors didn’t actually need to learn a new language. I’ve said this many times but the American culture just isn’t this bland, white stereotypical Midwest culture. Hell, there were Muslims that fought in the Revolutionary War. Personally, I really like “Hispanic” food, especially Spanish and Mexican even though I am Irish-American. That’s true for 90% of Americans. Give it up Tom.

Assimilation legitimately refers to understanding and agreeing to the Constitution and American governance institutions, nothing more.

4. 9thousandfeet says:

It’s not the first time I’ve heard that disagreeably common argument—that Hispanics should “work harder” to assimilate—and my first question to the dipshits who advance it is always “Do you speak Spanish?”
    Because if you don’t, you don’t understand their songs, and if you don’t understand a culture’s songs, you really don’t have much that’s valid you can say about them.
    Not one fucking word.
    Spanish is the language of first choice for huge swathes of the US. You’re not going to get a job as a supermarket checkout clerk in a hell of a lot of places (many of which were Spanish speaking long before they were English speaking), including my neck of the woods, unless you’re bilingual.

And anyway, Hispanics already work plenty hard enough in damn near every restaurant kitchen that pricks like Brokaw frequent, not to mention cleaning his fucking toilet and doing his yard work.

It’s not just Nazis who need a punch in the snout, is it?

5. Parfigliano says:

He is from South Dakota not Montana.

6. Oh lordy, I’m as white as they come but my first thought was “Assimilate THIS, pinche gabacho!”.

Funny how all the white immigrants managed to assimilate just as much as hispanics have, but somehow, are more ‘American’.

Also, too, in much of the Southwest, THEY WERE HERE FIRST, so who’s the one who should be assimilating? Huh, White Man?

7. laura says:

I feel terrible-but not because I said terrible things.
    Both sides.
    Blame the victim.
    No one should challenge racist meemaws for weighing in on who virginal Kaitlynn parents with.
    Said the tool who’s a very important villager.

I had no idea Tom Brokaw was a White Supremacist. White people with brown grandchildren have an option Tom, that you forgot to mention. They can either disown their inferior brown grandchild or get over their racism and love their grandchild no matter what. Funny thing is the child wins in both cases because in these days and times who wants a racist grandparent.

9. Bruce388 says:

In my dating days I went out a few times with a woman (D) with racist attitudes (she was attractive in a trashy sort of way, I’m a pig). It was over after I mentioned I’d been dating a Puerto Rican. I see on D’s son’s FB page that he’s married a Filipina, so now my former date has brown step-grandchildren. D’s smile when she’s with them doesn’t even look forced.

10. nonnie9999 says:

Another example of the both-sides bullshit. We wouldn’t be such racists if you people weren’t just so offensive to us! Greatest generation, my ass. That’s where the racism, misogyny and xenophobia comes from. There are not “fine people on both sides.” There are the decent immigrants who, like almost every other person wants to hold on to their heritage, language and culture, and the fucking racist xenophobic assholes who think they are better than everyone else.