Witness Tampering 101

Little Kremlin-on-the-Potomac

Touched By An Angel, or at least a Fed.

ABC:

“Michael Cohen is having reservations about his highly anticipated public appearance before Congress next month, fearing that President Donald Trump’s frequent diatribes against him could put his family in danger, according to sources close to Cohen.”

It’s like every cheesy Mafia movie ever made. We just need the rubber horse head in his bed.

Anyway, that is the very definition of tampering.

This entry was posted in Comrade Preznint Stupid, The Russian Usurper, Mikhail Cohen. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Witness Tampering 101

1. Kiwiwriter says:

More likely Cohen will return home at night and be kidnapped by some Delta Force commandos, who will take him to Gitmo, for some “enhanced interrogation,” after which he will “revise his memories.”

2. YellowDog says:

I think Cohen has more to worry about with Putin. He should adopt the Trump strategy to avoid poisoning–eat McD purchased at random locations. The bonus is you can also serve guests cheaply.

BTW That was a real horse head. Coppola’s staff found a horse ready for slaughter at a dog food plant and asked for the head. They got it, packed in dry ice. One of the actors described it as a slimy mess, but it had the look.

3. donnah says:

Well, if anyone knows what evil he’s up against, It’s Cohen. He’s seen and done it all, and he knows who’s waiting for him in the shadows. I’m hoping the authorities can compel him to testify as planned and they can protect him and his family.

If he decides not to testify, Trump wins. I hope Cohen understands that.

• Kiwiwriter says:

They could also go the other way and offer Cohen a pardon and a payoff to shut hi mup.

• YellowDog says:

It won’t work. Once he cannot be prosecuted for past crimes, he can be compelled to talk about those crimes under threat of prosecution (contempt of Congress, lying to Congress). There is no longer a 5th amendment defense. Pardons only go so far in a coverup.

• Kiwiwriter says:

Forgot about that…yes, Cohen could get nailed for perjury and contempt of court.

But couldn’t Trump pardon him for the former? Repeatedly?

And as for the contempt of court issue, Trump can’t intervene in that, as that is strictly a judicial matter, but 30 days in the can and $500 isn’t a severe burden for a guy like Cohen. It beats 10 years in Club Fed and a $100,000 fine.

I’m cynical about the whole thing…I still don’t understand why Trump hasn’t

Surrounded the new Congress and US Capitol with the Marines from 8th and I to end the Democratic majority
        Sent the National Guard into the offices of CNN, the Washington Post, and the New York Times to put their editorial team (and files) into “protective custody” while their “treasonable activities” are “properly investigated.”
        Placed Hillary and his other critics into “temporary detention” to investigate “ambiguities of behavior” through “enhanced interrogation” at Guantanamo Bay.

If all else fails, he could just set fire to the Capitol.

4. mellowjohn says:

maybe they’ll “Frankie FiveAngels” him at the hearing.

5. H-Bob says:

Won’t he be protected by the Twitter followers on @WomenForCohen?

6. Kiwiwriter says:

Yellowdog, couldn’t the Bloated Yam then issue a pardon to Cohen (et al.) for the crime of “lying to Congress?” Then Congress would have to start all over again, and everybody goes dancing around the filing cabinet.

Kiwiwriter –

There are two felonies here: 1) Lying to Congress and B) Suborning perjury. Cohen is the actor in 1) and Prznint Stupid is the actor in B).

He would be incriminating himself if Trump pardoned Cohen. of course, the whole stupid thing is Obstruction of Justice, too. Also.

• Kiwiwriter says:

I thought that the presidential power of pardon is absolute.

Like Ford pardoning Nixon. Nixon was about to face a lot of federal charges, and Ford could be seen as “obstructing justice” by preventing him from being investigated.

I’m sorry to be obtuse, and I am not trolling…I simply don’t understand how this works.

More importantly, after 56 years on this planet, I’m increasingly cynical. People with power can do and have anything they want. Laws, traditions, and customs are made to be broken. What matters is power: getting it, having it, using it, getting more of it.

I learned this at an early age from a narcissistic mother, nasty schoolmates, and uncaring teachers and administrators. It was reinforced by the moral filth of Watergate, Irangate, the corporate greed cases of the 1980s and 1990s, the 2000 election, the illegal war in Iraq, and so on. Donald Trump is the nadir of this downward trend (if that’s possible).

I learned the central lesson in life at the age of 12. My grandmother flew up from her retirement community in Florida one July to visit us, and my mother got furious at me for my usual fault: not taking my stuff out of the living room.

While Grandma lunched with her old pals from The Bronx at B. Altman’s, Mom told me that I would be getting on the plane with Grandma when she went back to Florida and I would live there with her, because of my behavior.

“You can’t do that!” I gasped. “Only senior citizens can live in that community! That’s the rule!”

My mother raged words I never forgot, and have endlessly used for all kinds of occasions when people in power break rules and behave in a high-handed manner: “We can pull a dodge! We can do a wiggle!”

Needless to say, I was terrified…pretty much until Grandma died, and I knew I couldn’t be dumped on her like unwanted trash. But I saw and endured such treatment over my life after that, and realized it is true.

So that’s why I say, “Trump can pull a dodge. He can do a wiggle.” Nothing has ever stopped him before…at anything.

The presidential pardon is absolute, but it also voids the 5th Amendment for self-incrimination: those pardoned are compelled to testify as they cannot be convicted again, and as such it is also an admission of guilt. So, pardoning Cohen for suborning Cohen to lie to Congress is admitting that Trump committed a crime. Cohen’s pardon would be for lying, but that then enters into evidence that Trump suborned him AND obstructed justice.

There is a Constitutional Question about whether a President can pardon himself, and I suppose we will find that out soon enough.

• Kiwiwriter says:

Okay, now that makes more sense to me…if Trump pardons Cohen for lying to Congress that Trump suborned perjury, Trump is admitting he suborned perjury, which is, of course, an extremely serious federal crime and direct violation of his oath to uphold the Constitution and faithfully defend the laws.

So we will see if Trump can pardon himself.

He could also take the third course (the second being resignation, but he won’t), and take advantage of the government shutdown, declare a state of emergency, and basically follow what Adolf did in Germany in 1933, complete with burning books. We already have

Naturally, the federal Courts and Congress would explode in wrath, but again, I get back to “who has power.” Remember what happened when Chief Justice Taney ordered the US Marshal to go out to Fort McHenry to free that guy Milligan in 1861. The troops wouldn’t let Marshal Bonifant in to produce Milligan. Lincoln had an army. Taney did not.

The same is true today…the FBI and US Marshals could go up to the White House, brandishing subpoenas and warrants, and be greeted by the Marines from the Baracks at 8th and I, in full battle order, obeying orders from their Commander-in-Chief to bar anyone from entering the White House. The FBI and Marshals have Sig Sauers. The Marines have .50-caliber machine-guns. Guess who wins.

More importantly, this Supreme Court might very well shrug, and say, “Hey, the government is shut down, we need to take measures — stern measures — to maintain law and order in the face of this governmental stalemate.” Then they toss the Congressional complaint, citing “executive privilege.”

“We can pull a dodge. We can do a wiggle.”