Bad Signs, Cont.

Hawt! Sounds like a plot to an educational film strip on hygiene, but I’m only guessing, of course. Also/too: Piggly Wigglies were real?

This entry was posted in Bad Signs, snark. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Mountjoy, who else? says:

One of my greatest regrets on my 2013 tour of the NE was driving past one of these in North Carolina, and not stopping in, or taking a photo….

• Bruce388 says:

From the website:
      Piggly Wiggly® was the FIRST to…

Provide checkout stands.
      Price mark every item in the store.
      Give shoppers more for their food dollar through high volume/low profit margin retailing.
      Feature a full line of nationally advertised brands.
      Use refrigerated cases to keep produce fresher longer.
      Put employees in uniforms for cleaner, more sanitary food handling.
      Design and use patented fixtures and equipment throughout the store.
      Franchise independent grocers to operate under the self-service method of food merchandising.

• MDavis says:

I saw a show on the Used To Be About History channel on Piggly Wiggly. They invented letting customers walk through the store and pick their own stuff off the shelf. No wonder there were successful. I’m pretty sure I have been in one when I was a kid. Maybe in Gig Harbor?

• Bruce388 says:

MDavis, that’s true about letting customers in the aisles. Before Piggly Wiggly came along, customers told clerks what they wanted and the clerks would fetch the items. Zero chance of impulse buying.

2. M. Bouffant says:

Real, & an innovator. (Next you’ll be doubting the existence of A&P.)

One thing Piggly-Wiggly missed was the shopping cart, which made some hick in Oklahoma a multimillionaire.

3. Condi says:

There’s a Piggly Wiggly just an hour east of Kansas CIty in Higginsville, MO; on Fairground Avenue, east of Maple St., south of Shades Salon and west of the Higginsville Housing Authority.

Not that any sentient being should give a good god damn.

4. tengrain says:

Thanks a lot you guys – I just learned that a building in my ‘hood used to be a Piggly Wiggly, like in the 1920s or something…

So now I am obsessed with this. Back when I was a Yute, I could easily have thrown a ball and hit that building from my place. The building is still standing and now occupied by several good restaurants, including the beloved Wandering Goose – Hi Heather!

Is Piggly Wiggly and A&P like Woolworths? If you get kicked out of one you get kicked out of them all. Asking for a lost brother.

6. Buttemilk Sky says:

Good guess, tengrain! A&P started as the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, then became a supermarket chain I remember well.

Anybody remember Safeway?

7. Sue Zawadzki says:

There was even a Piggly Wiggly as far North as Fairbanks, AK.

8. Frank McCormick says:

I’m not sure of the direct history — but H. E. Butt eventually founded his own grocery chain based in San Antonio and H-E-B is the best danged grocery store here in Austin!

9. Batman 54 says:

HEB has been around in Texas since 1905, and has made more than one competitor say Uncle.

10. rsginsf says:

OK, I’ll forgive not knowing Piggly Wiggly was real, but c’mon, A&P? That’s just downright depressing.

Safeway is HQ’ed in Hayward (as I recall).

There were other, smaller, regional stores, but Safeway was the biggest (and baddest) of them all. There’s a Safeway in my hood, but I avoid it at all costs. I even go to Kroger stores instead.

11. MDavis says:

The choices here are Safeway, Walmart or drive thirty miles, minimum.

12. revzafod says:

Nobody outside So. Cal ever heard of Ralphs until The Big Lebowski. In 2005 on my first trip to L.A. for a LebowskiFest [see my avatar], I picked up a card which I now use as my primary form of identification, of course.