Merry Christmas Everyone

Holidays 2011.jpg

[Ed. – There was a WordPress goof, this was supposed to be the first post of the day. We regret the error. — TG. PS, Keeping it on top, fresher (hahaha) posts below.]

Regular readers know that I am not a person of faith, and as I quip everywhere, I don’t even have the faith that the next Kleenex will pop up, and I’m right most of the time. But that said, I do understand that many other people do have faith. My personal fight against theocracy is not so much driven by atheism as it is that I want the fetus-fondling god-botherers to leave everyone else alone. They can believe in the Kleenex popping up, I don’t care. I don’t even care enough to try to help the theocrats see the error of their way.

As seems to be my habit during the holidays I read the same two books: Christopher Moore’s The Stupidest Angel, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (and for Blog’s Sake, if you do buy them go to your local bookstore).

And that’s about as close to dogma as I will ever get.

In both books, Supernatural forces screw up, and eventually humanity muddles through, and is saved—not through divine intervention (well, not really)—but through the failings of our human nature. We ourselves are the divine comedy – that is the message of both books. It’s strangely uplifting to think that we might be the ineffable.

So, in this season of culturally enforced religiosity, I look to each of us, flawed and damaged as we might be, and I am so grateful to all of us, fellow Scissorheads, saints and sinners all that we found each other and continue to keep up the good fight against the pontificating poltroons.

I’m wishing the believers the merriest of Christmases and happy holidays to all the rest of us heathens. Be kind to each other today and on the other 364 days of the year.

This entry was posted in Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Merry Christmas Everyone

1. I watched (and read!) Hogfather, both for the first time, this year. Now to be an annual tradition….

Hail Saint Pratchett!

• Sirius Lunacy says:

The Hogfather has been a Christmas tradition at our house for about a decade. Bilius the OH GOD of hangovers has been a tradition of mine (and not just at Christmas) for far longer.

• StringOnAStick says:

Having grown up in a God forsaken small town with just one teevee station and two radio stations, I just discovered Sir Terry two years ago and I’m working my way through his novels, slowly and joyously. Envy me my virginity!

String – We must be from the same small town. I discovered Pratchett almost 5 years ago.

I’m rip-roaring through the books, I find the earlier ones to be more madcap than the later ones. I’m told that BBC is going to be making a series out of Good Omens, and I might have to subscribe to cable just to see it. Totally worth it.

• MDavis says:

This is a bit long, but Sir Terry is a favorite who got me through some rough days so I’m going for it. He took over for me when I ran out of Keith Laumer books.
        Don’t forget the Johnny Maxwell books – there are three of them.
        The Discworld books can be read in any order, but there are suggested reading orders, it turns out. Each book story stands on it’s own, but it is nice to get background on main characters as they develop.
        BTW – dont miss The Sea And Little Fishes. It’s a short that was written for an anthology, Legends, (https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354) and is easy to miss. .
        Okay, I just skived off to find the title Witches Abroad as a book to be sure you read before this shorter story and discovered that there is a suggested reading order by main characters. (Rincewind, Death, and so on) Google it at BookRiot if you are interested.
        Opposite-of-a-rant done.

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Merry Christmas, old chum!

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

Happy Holidaze to all!

4. purplehead says:

rAmen!

(Can’t believe—ha ha!—I’m the first to mention that…)

5. Ten Bears says:

I’ve read Heinlein’s Job, A Comedy of Errors so many times I don’t have to.

Those boys are not raising joyful noise, by-the-by, should probably call a doctor.

6. Osirisopto says:

Happy daze to all and to a a good night!

On this fourth day of the new year I’m in a mood to celebrate this most awesome day…

7. Dennis Cole says:

And try to find a Nazi to punch tomorrow, the 26th. It IS Boxing Day, after all.

8. moeman says:

The best of this Holiday season to all Scissorheads and a huge thank you to the everlasting and faithful TG for making this joint so much fun to visit each and every day. Peace and Love.

9. another kiwi says:

What moeman said. TG helps keep the lights on.

10. Pyed says:

The Great Charles Dickens portrayed the Ghost of Christmas Present as jovial and given to laughter, so that’s good enough for me.

11. donnah says:

I only found this merry band of Scissorheads this year and I’m so very glad I did! You’re funny and clever people who always make me laugh. Tengrain, you are a national treasure!

Merry Christmas to you all, and here’s hoping things get better in 2019!

12. Jim says:

I’ve probably read everything Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett have written (that I know about, at least). Gaiman’s “American Gods” was my favorite but all their stuff is really excellent.