Pets and Christmas

They have a cat:

(Sad and Useless)

They have a dog:

(Sad and Useless)

Any questions?

This entry was posted in cats, dogs, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Pets and Christmas

1. Osirisopto says:

That might work on the dog, but the cat would see it as a challenge If she felt like climbing that day.

2. MDavis says:

3. purplehead says:

Nope. No way that would stop a cat from doing whatever it wanted to do.

4. Bruce388 says:

You’d have to leave them powered up.

5. FelineMama says:

Presents still intact (in a Feline house) ?? Hmmmm??

6. Pyed says:

The cat and dog who share my old family domicile usually got along together quite well, but under the trying exigencies of Christmas, we would have been bound to find the dog baying under the first tree and the cat — treed — showering the dog with bulbs and tinsel.

7. David H Lippman says:

Our dog Kaya ate an entire box of 96 Crayola Crayons that belonged to our daughter. So one of our pals gave us a wrapped box that we put under the tree on Christmas Eve. Next morning we found the wrapper torn open and the gift inside torn up. It was, of course, a box of 96 Crayola Crayons, and Kaya had smelled them and attacked. The only crayons she left behind were red, yellow, and blue, the primary colors.

What made it funny was that for a week, she had multi-colored poop.

Our daughter was less than thrilled, however. So a teacher friend of hers got her a gigantic classroom-sized Crayola crayon box, which she used until she outgrew them, at which point she let me donate them (mostly in good shape) to a program our city runs for victims of domestic abuse, which includes a shelter for mothers and children. They were delighted to receive it.

David,

I loved this story! Thank you for sharing. Crayolas give so much pleasure to so many, but I’ve never heard of them being canine culinary pleasure before.

Someday I’ll share my crayola story. I need to wait for the statute of limitations to expire, of course.

• David H Lippman says:

Well, that story was one of Kaya’s funnier moments. She was a rescue Doberman from Doberman Rescue Unlimited in New Hampshire, one of six rescue dogs we’ve had in our family, and I’m going to do the “commercial” for these lovely folks in New Hampshire, because they were a great source of two of our dogs, one of them, Oscar, being the second-funniest dog we ever had.

Kaya had one ear up and one ear down…she was a black Doberman who played well with our next Dobie, a 110-lb. blue with uncropped ears named Oscar for his easygoing demeanor. They would play tug-of-war with a miniature rope in the living room. I called it “rope-a-dope” and they’d snooze together on a giant pillow under a blanket.

Sadly, Kaya died suddenly — my wife took both our dogs to visit a friend, who owned a red Dobie named Max. They were all pals…when all three were together, we’d have a black, a blue, and a red in the same room, which was quite a trifecta.

Anyway, while my wife was getting ready to go, standing in the yard, Kaya gave two tugs on her lead and crumpled to the ground. Dead on the spot. Fatal heart attack.

For the next month, Oscar stood forlornly in the living room. wondering where his buddy was. So we went to the animal shelter here in Newark and got the funniest and best dog we ever owned, Monster the Mighty Moose. He was one-half Rottweiler (large body), one-quarter Golden Retriever (sunny disposition), and supposedly one-quarter Jack Russell (smart dog). He’s another story.

But just as Oscar and Monster started being friends, Oscar developed serious health problems from being a Blue with hemophilia and other issues, and he died. If we hadn’t had adopted Monster, both of us would have been wrecks.

Every time I read that story, “Rainbow Bridge,” about where pets go to await the death of their owners, I always burst into tears. Which is odd, because I’m a very cynical guy, utterly lacking in empathy and short in compassion, unable to forgive. For example, I truly believe that democracy is finished in the United States and around the world, and that the Glorious Leader will throw a tantrum after a Twitter spat and use the “biscuit” to drop our nuclear weapons not on ISIS, Iran, North Korea, Russia, or Timbuktu, but on Britain, France, Germany, or Mexico. My point being that I don’t get devastated and upset too easily. But every time I read that “Rainbow Bridge” story, I’m a helpless wreck. That’s what pets do to you.

Monster is a whole other story…he was the most amazing of the eight dogs my wife and I have owned, and his stories are hilarious and amazing. He was just a pure good. It often makes me upset that good people and pets die early while the utterly evil go on and on, safe and secure. The only reason Hitler died early was because he blew himself away. Mussolini, Saddam, and Qaddafi were captured by their own people. But Stalin, Franco, Mao, Marcos, Stroessner, Pinochet, and Duvalier died in their beds.

• Bruce388 says:

One year the first Mrs. Bruce388 got some fancy Christmas balls for decorations. The dog LOVED that satisfying crunch that her regular diet just didn’t provide. She defecated glitter turds for days afterward.