Business Insider leads the morning with a pretty great summary of the importance of Prznint Stupid’s Stupidest Lawyer (sorry Rudy!) Mikhail, er, Michael Cohen’s guilty plea:
- Michael Cohen’s lawyers revealed intriguing new details about President Donald Trump in a new court filing this week.
- Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress and is cooperating with the special counsel Robert Mueller.
- Cohen’s lawyers say he was “in close and regular contact” with Trump’s lawyers and White House staffers in the weeks before he lied to lawmakers.
- They also revealed that Cohen is cooperating with a mysterious “separate open inquiry” conducted by the New York attorney general’s office.
- When he was breaking campaign-finance laws at Trump’s directions, Cohen’s lawyers say he kept Trump “contemporaneously informed” of his actions.
The big news in that, of course, is the separate open inquiry. If the state takes down any of the players there is no pardoning. Marcie Wheeler has an interesting take on that: MIKE PENCE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PARDON THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION.
It’s a great read with good sources, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she has the end game outlined.