Tomorrow is Buy NOTHING Day

Take the kids shopping to your local mom & pop stores. (Hat tip: Scissorhead Willis)

It is the easiest day to be an activist: you don’t have to do anything at all.

All of our worst corporate citizens are counting on you to rush out after having a slice of pie and get in line at midnight to spend your hard-earned Ameros as you run up your credit car to buy their crap.

Don’t do it.

Take a walk, call an old friend, write a letter. But don’t rush out to buy the Singing Fish, or the latest flat-paneled whatever. You don’t need any of that crap, often the sales are not real (just promotions) and if they even have the barn-buster item, they only have one of them. Don’t join the frenzy.

If you really need a retail fix, shop local, at your neighbor’s Mom & Pop; go to your indie coffee shop, buy a pastry at the bakery down the street. Your dollar stays in the community and is a multiplier for keeping you local economy going and your friends and neighbors employed. Shopping at the Big Stores just sends your buck to somewhere else.

My mom always used to take us on walks and we would scatter wildflower seeds in those abandoned places that every city has. When I see a fine stand of California Poppies popping up in a construction site, or near an old fenced-off parking lot, I always smile a little and think of her.

This entry was posted in Buy Nothing Day, holidays. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Tomorrow is Buy NOTHING Day

1. There’s also the good sort of shopping…it’s black “Fur-day” at our local shelter! http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/vise/vise-e.htm

The Desertrat household may be going to go check them out, and may grow by four feet…(who am I kidding…if we go, we’re coming back with new dog … we’ve done that ‘Oh we’ll just go look and see who’s available’ dance before … and they’re supposed to have a bunch of GSDs and mixes and if Mrs Desertrat had her way the house would be like this…

[Tengrain was here!]

• http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=458797 THAT would be the correct url! ignore the one that snuck in…

That’s a wonderful promotion BDR. Maybe the TSKoA is not as terrible as we think?

• We actually raised taxes on ourselves to upgrade PACC, and have given them enough money in donations to hire permanent vets on staff and outfit a full veterinary clinic, and that way they were able to build out enough shelter to make it a no-kill one.

Also, the TSKoA now has: more Democrats in Congress than Republicans , a Democratic Senator, Democrats for Secretary of State (a biggie since if Il Deuce resigns to make himself the new McCain, we get her for Governor!) and School Superintendent, and we’ve reduced the R majority in the lege to 3 in the Senate and 2 in the House.

Pima County (and Tucson) has always been a D powerhouse (We’ve been sending Raul Grijalva to congress for years, but not my district, alas. My new Congresscritter is Ann Kirkpatrick, also a D).

The last few election cycles, the GOP in town hasn’t even gotten enough nominating signatures to put a Mayoral candidate on the ballot….

2. donnah says:

Well, what’s cuter than that baby goat wearing overalls? Nothing! Plus, he’s in the “kids seat”.

3. Pyed says:

Traditionally at the Pyed pad, Black Friday is Tryptophan Elimination Day.

Lie back on the sofa and contemplate the backside of your eyelids.

4. Gary R. Fricke says:

I have eliminated all shopping for the holiday season. I make gifts for those I care about and spend my money donating to charities that these people care about. The holidays are so much more
    when I don’t do any shopping.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Much of our day will be spent cooking for an old friend of the family, who will be coming with his family to celebrate my brother’s birthday. I would never want to put some poor retail worker making low wages have to deal with a rugby scrum.

6. Stony Pillow says:

If you just gotta scratch that itch, follow up the indie coffee shop with a trip to the local Goodwill. It’s a 501(c)(3) organization that keeps your money in the community in one of the best possible ways, providing paid job and skill training opportunities to local differently abled people. BTW, their stores do have clean rest rooms — an important consideration after that triple shot latte. And who knows, you might find that perfect ugly Christmas sweater you’ve been wanting for years, the Corelle serving bowl that completes the set, or a DVD of the movie that made you cry twenty years ago.

I used to spend Black Friday at Sally’s, but it turns out they’re just plain bigots. I don’t know or recognize their god, and they can hate just fine without my help.

• purplehead says:

Sally’s?

• Dennis Cole says:

Salvation Army.

Dennis –

Goodwill Industries does a lot of good work, hiring and training people, and often giving them a hand-up as they come out of incarceration or rehab. I met the California head of Goodwill once at a party, and the guy was amazing talking about the mission of helping the down and out.

When ol ‘Grain does thrifting, Goodwill is usually the destination.

(I’m not a friend of Salvation Army. They use their profits to fund their theocratic policies, particularly against the LGBTQ community and activities around Forced Birth.)

• Dennis Cole says:

TG – I was just providing PH with the translation, I’m not a big fan of that particular Army either. However. In Santa Rosa, CA, where I’ve lived almost my whole life, they have provided two 10-story apartment buildings, for a total of almost 500 units, for the express purpose of providing low-cost housing for Senior Citizens, with the rent dependent on the renter’s income.

I have friends who live there and pay as little as $250 a month, which is a terrific bargain for this area, where we lost 5,300 homes last year in the horrific Tubbs fire. I’m not trying to heap kudos on them, I just wanted to point out one good thing they do, which doesn’t excuse or erase their bigotry and Homophobia.

7. purplehead says:

Oh, oops. Never heard them called that. I call them Bigots, and have for years. To the irritating kettle-beggers who block grocery store doorways. Written all over the irritating begging-filled envelopes I inexplicably receive in the mail, and send back with “HOMOPHOBIC BIGOTS” scrawled in thick black Magic-Marker™®© all over the enclosed begging pages.