Gimme That Ol’ Time Religion: Witchcraft

Do it for the children

Newsweek has a fascinating article up that indicates that the Yutes of Today have turned their backs on Xristianity and are embracing Wicca:

Witchcraft and other pagan religious practices increased in the U.S. over the past few decades, with millennials turning to astrology and tarot cards as they turn away from Christianity and other traditionally dominant Abrahamic religions.
The number of witches and Americans practicing Wicca religious rituals increased dramatically since the 1990s, with several recent studies indicating there may be at least 1.5 million witches across the country. A Trinity College study conducted in 1990 estimated only about 8,000 Wiccans in the U.S., but the increase has been led by a rejection of mainstream Christianity among young Americans as well as a rise in occultism.
With 1.5 million potential practicing witches across the U.S., witchcraft has more followers than the 1.4 million mainline members of the Presbyterian church.

Praise Jeebus!

Look, it doesn’t take Nostradamus to figure out that the scolds and hypocrites of US Evangelical Christianity are a turn-off to, well, just about everyone with a functioning brain. As I’ve stated many times, I don’t care what you believe as long as you don’t try to foist it on me; in return, I will not foist my lack of beliefs on you.

I’m sure that there will be pushback on this Newsweek article from all the usual suspects, but any group of people who believe in talking snakes and bushes, and that virgins can give birth need to take a long look in the mirror before they start dissin’ worshipping the natural world.

This entry was posted in Blog Against Theocracy, snark. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Gimme That Ol’ Time Religion: Witchcraft

1. Kiwiwriter says:

Those fingers in my hair
    That sly come-hither stare
    That strips my conscience bare
    It’s witchcraft

And I’ve got no defense for it
    The heat is too intense for it
    What good would common sense for it do?
    ‘Cause it’s witchcraft

That crazy witchcraft
    And although, I know, it’s strictly taboo

When you arouse the need in me
    My heart says yes indeed in me
    Proceed with what you’re leading me to

It’s such an ancient pitch
    But one that I’d never switch
    ‘Cause there’s no nicer witch than you

Songwriters: Carolyn Leigh / Cy Coleman
    Witchcraft lyrics © Downtown Music Publishing, Words & Music A Div Of Big Deal Music LLC

2. w3ski4me says:

I really love the way their facts(tm) go from “80,000” right on up to a million and a half, like poof! Just because? Anything to stroke their fears I guess. What an industry it is, putting wood on the fires of the fearful. Funny too how they get all foamy at the mouth when you (I) call them “fearful”. They insist on fear from all, and that is especially sad to me.
    “what a world, what a world.”
    w3ski

• It IS Newsweak, after all.

All said, though, I’d rather have a Wiccan for a neighbor than a Presbyterian…

Some years ago we lost one of our dogs, and we put flyers on cars in church parking lots figuring all these people live or at least drive through the neighborhood. We hit a variety of churches large and small. Only three gave us any sort of hassle: the local Catholic church (mainly concerned that it would lead to littering, and let us inside to post on the bulletin board and leave a pile for people to take), an evangelical church of some sort (came out and nastily told us they allowed NO ONE to pass out flyers), and the Presbyterians who berated us for merely being on their property and threatened to call the cops on is for trespassing and vandalism.

• Ten Bears says:

I looked closer at their data set, it doesn’t say “at least” 1.5 million, it say’s up to 1.5. Even then they foul it up: what is it, 1.5 million witches across the country or 1.5 million potential witches across the country? Not to mention defining witch-craft as Wiccan is inaccurate. There are numerous forms of witch-craft, not all of which are hippy-dippy new-age hoo-doo voo-doo doo-doo.

3. Redhand says:

Time to drag this old chestnut out!

Stay away! Look out!

If you’re out on a moonlit night
    Be careful of them neighborhood strays
    Of a lady with long black hair
    Tryin’ to win you with her
    femi-nine ways

Yeah, there’s a tincture of misogyny in the lyrics, but it was the 70s,
    though we’re no more enlightened today.

At least witches know that the three kings are Orion’s Belt. So there’s that.

5. Remember this fondly from my junior high dance days…

• w3ski4me says:

If you like that, you really need to hear the original from “Peter Greene and Fleetwood Mac”. Just a few years before Santana copied it.
      just sayin
      w3ski

6. Sirius Lunacy says:

This explains why the Mueller witch hunt is finding so many witches.

7. Osiris Opto says:

Once it became known we not only approve of but advocate for recreational sex, premarital or otherwise it was only a matter of time.

Then there’s that intellectual and emotional integrity thing, too.

Besides the concept of “original sin” is the most perverse thing I’ve ever heard of. And I’ve seen a lot of very weird shit in 57 years.

8. RWW says:

The witchy ranks are even larger than the Xristian Xrazies fear and they should look inward. Seems to me an old hag “taking authority” over hurricanes using magic incantations while dressed in weird outfits and unnaturally-colored hair is every bit a form of witchcraft.

9. ming says:

Presbyterian, Wiccan, Pastafarian – it’s all the same to me.

10. Sirius Lunacy says:

Also the light switch, is that what you call a glory in excelsis deo hole?