Axios email thingie Sunday night alerts us to the fact that our racist Prznint Stupid is still a racist and is still stupid:
President Trump doesn’t want to give Puerto Rico any more federal money for its recovery from Hurricane Maria, White House officials have told congressional appropriators and leadership. This is because he claims, without evidence, that the island’s government is using federal disaster relief money to pay off debt.
Any mention of Cadillac-driving welfare queens and young bucks eating t-bone steaks?
Trump also told senior officials last month that he would like to claw back some of the federal money Congress has already set aside for Puerto Rico’s disaster recovery, claiming mismanagement.
So… how did this come about?
Behind the scenes: In late October, Trump grew furious after reading a Wall Street Journal article by Matt Wirz, according to five sources familiar with the president’s reaction. The article said that “Puerto Rico bond prices soared … after the federal oversight board that runs the U.S. territory’s finances released a revised fiscal plan that raises expectations for disaster funding and economic growth.”
- Sources with direct knowledge told me Trump concluded — without evidence — that Puerto Rico’s government was scamming federal disaster funds to pay down its debt.
- On Oct. 23, Trump falsely claimed in a tweet that Puerto Rico’s “inept politicians are trying to use the massive and ridiculously high amounts of hurricane/disaster funding to pay off other obligations.”
- At the same time, White House officials told congressional leadership that Trump was inflamed by the Wall Street Journal article and “doesn’t want to include additional Puerto Rico funding in further spending bills,” according to a congressional leadership aide. “He was unhappy with what he believed was mismanagement of money,” the aide said.
- A second source said Trump misinterpreted the Journal article, concluding falsely that the Puerto Rican government was using disaster relief funds to pay down debt.
- A third source said Trump told top officials in an October meeting that he wanted to claw back congressional funds that had previously been set aside for Puerto Rico’s recovery. “He’s always been pissed off by Puerto Rico,” the source added.
So… it’s his illiteracy, again, combined with his disregard for brown people, and of course his personal antagonism with the Mayor of San Juan Carmen Yulín Cruz all wrapped up into one messy package.
There are only 12 legislative days until Dec. 7, when funding runs out for some of the government. It’s not likely that the lame duck session can or will do much for Puerto Rico, (or anything else for that matters) and chances are pretty good that Prznint Stupid would veto it anyway; meanwhile his stupid Tortilla Curtain continues to be his priority and spending untold hundreds of millions of Ameros to send the military to Texas to stop the Caravan-O-Doom.
All of these things will make Possum Hollar happy.