The Sound of Music

Taylor Swift used her acceptance speech for artist of the year at the American Music Awards on Tuesday night to encourage her fans to vote.

“This award and every single award given out tonight were voted on by the people, and you know what else is voted on by the people?” Swift asked the audience. “It is the midterm elections on November 6. Get out and vote. I love you guys.”

As you know, I don’t watch award shows, so this all came as news to me this morning and it bears some investigation! Luckily, many of the morning email thingies already are on it!

The impact of Taylor Swift getting political was an itim in the Axios email thingie:

“After the pop star endorsed two Democratic candidates — and urged her 112 million Instagram followers to vote in this year’s midterm elections — Vote.org saw a massive spike in registrations.”

240,000 registered in the 48 hours after her Instagram post.

Is that a lot?

190,178 registered in the entire month of September. (Hollywood Reporter)

Screw-you, cha-cha-cha

If you are wondering if Prznint Stupid, who rarely misses a chance to put women in their place, was true to form, you needn’t wonder any more:

“I’m sure Taylor Swift has nothing — or doesn’t know anything about her (Blackburn),” Trump said.

And then he added, with a laugh: “Let’s say that I like Taylor’s music about 25% less now, OK?”

Quick, Comrade, name three Taylor Swift songs! (I rest my case. Full disclosure: I don’t think I could either.)

So, you know, Swift dissed Marsha Blackburn and endorsed Phil Bredesen. How’s it working out? Reliable Sources email thingie says:

But Swift’s post is not necessarily translating to newfound support for the two candidates she endorsed. The NYT is doing live polling in the Phil Bredesen-Marsha Blackburn race, and Nate Cohn says he isn’t seeing much movement in Bredesen’s direction, despite Swift’s new backing for him…

Of course, it may be too soon to be reflected in the polling. At any rate, if a celebrity endorsement can get that many people to register to vote, then I hope more celebrities flex those muscles.

This entry was posted in 2018 Pie Fight, Pop Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Sound of Music

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

This could be an Extinction Level Event for the Republican Party, never mind the gerrymandering.

2. Chuck Farley says:

name 3 taylor swift songs

1)the song where she sings “haters gonna hate, hate, hate” and “shake it off” – i think the latter is the title

2)the one where she addresses the high school boy who’s hung up on the cheerleader – “I’m here in the bleachers…something something sneakers” – isn’t the title something like “you should be with me”

3)ok – now i’m stumped and would have to refer to my external memory circuits aka ‘the cloud’

4)taylor and kanye west are feuding – kanye is going to have lunch with trump and talk about prison reform tomorrow – who knows if it’s good or bad?

• osirisopto says:

Kanye West (convenient idiot) would be well advised to avoid having anything to think, say or do with prisons in the US.

If he thinks being a rich and famous asshole will stop a cops bullet in the back because he’s black while black and not appropriately obsequious he’s got another think coming.

3. osirisopto says:

Y’know the best thing that could happen is for every single pop start in the entertainment industry to simply advocate voting in a non-partisan manner.

R’s only advantage is limiting the number of people who can, and do vote. D’s would win consistently if the majority of the eligible voters just fucking cast a goddamned ballot. They could vote for Taylor Swift, Luke Skywalker, Hitler or Darth Vader for all I care, just fucking vote.

4. With respect to the ‘surge in registrations’ thing, a LOT of states have drop-dead dates around now. I know something like 20 states (maybe more) the last date to register in time to vote was yesterday. I know it was here in the TSKoA.

I’ve been getting updates from Greg Palast with his remaining hair en fuego over it because things like Indiana illegally purged something like 20,000 voters… Georgia has purged 10% of their rolls. http://www.gregpalast.com/

5. MDavis says:

From what I saw of this, Swift stated her preferences and then encouraged people to vote for their preference, just look at the candidates policy positions and choose based on what is best for ‘you’. Wonkette has a thingy about the Aryan boys being all upset about her coming out with a political stance, and it isn’t for nazis.

6. MDavis says:

Oh, yeah, and 25% of nothing, still nothing. Trump made a funny, ha ha.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s