Fashion Week Continues!

I really cannot put these picture on a family-friendly blog like MPS (fuck-you, it is too!), but let’s just say that the fashion show post a few weeks ago with the severed heads had other, um, interesting accoutrements:

“Giuliano Calza, the co-founder and creative director of GCDS, sent models down the runway with three breasts, all apparently prosthetic. The cropped neon GCDS shirts with black bands barely covered the models’ assets…

“…Two years ago my mum had a breast cancer and it was such a wake up call of what’s future gonna be about? So I put all my strength into offering a imaginary world where I could express my self,” he wrote.
“Three breasts is not only a ‘Total Recall’ homage but also a political statement, in a moment where culture and art need more feeding than ever, three breast might be useful.”

“At the Kaimin show at New York Fashion Week in February, the design house sent models wearing “vagina mohawks” down the runway, apparently achieving the look using merkins, or wigs resembling pubic hair, which can be seen in the photos below.

And so, well, the severed heads were passé by the time the show was over, as you can imagine.

I’m all in favor of breast cancer awareness, but I’m not sure this is the route to take as the problem is not ever too many breasts, but too few. And I think that fashion models who had gone through mastectomies might have been a more powerful message than sticking an extra breast on. Just a thought.

It’s a missed opportunity.

Not making fun of breast cancer, but questioning the message behind the message.

Respectful comments only, please.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Bruce388)

This entry was posted in Fashion Week. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Fashion Week Continues!

1. donnah says:

I have a lot of friends who have survived breast cancer. Their circumstances are different, but they all, to the woman, have survived with dignity, grace, humility, and humor. Some have had total mastectomies, some have had reconstruction, some wear prosthetics, others do not. All are proud of their survival and can tell you the date they got the terrible news and the date they were declared cancer-free.

But they all have that deep down terror of the cancer coming back.

I think a fashion show with women having extra breasts doesn’t really represent those women very well. I’m not even sure what that message is supposed to be. But maybe if the show was used as a fundraiser with proceeds going for research or help for victims and their families, I could get behind it.

• Jim says:

My wife was diagnosed very early (always get checked!!) and ended up with a lumpectomy but still had to endure the radiation and chemo. But she has has had a sister and several friends die of breat cancer (she’s originally from NJ and I think there are real possible connections with cancer and pollution). She’s been in remission for more than five years, thankfully.

2. Redhand says:

For some reason I am reminded of Jermain’s “I jus wanna, I jus wanna” in ‘Ladies of the World’

But not in a good way. This is one area where I do not think man can improve on Nature. Ditto the “vagina mohawks.”

It really looks like cheap sensationalism. I had one female friend, an ace clinical psychologist, who does in her 50s when her breast cancer came back. And yeah, she was terrified of an early death from it. Likewise, I have a female lawyer friend and colleague who had every single reproductive and organ of her body removed to escape this cancer. I know she would be insulted by this show of “solidarity.”

Just sayin.

3. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I suspect that this is titillation masquerading as being ‘woke’.

4. lofgren says:

Based on his comment quoted here, it doesn’t sound like this was about breast cancer or solidarity with cancer patients, just that his mother’s breast cancer was an inspiration. I’m still less than impressed with the direction he took it in, but it’s not really fair to criticize him for failing to represent breast cancer patients when that wasn’t the goal. The “political statement” he claims to be making is about sustenance, not disease. I mean, it still seems like a first-draft concept he never got around to revising. (“I want to do something with boobies. Hmm. How about THREE BOOBIES!!!!”)

5. Bruce388 says:

“…models down the runway with three breasts, all apparently prosthetic.” Apparently, you say?

6. Sirius Lunacy says:

The only advantage I can even see to this is if you are planning on having triplets.