UPDATED: Ford-Kavanaugh Senate Hearing – Live

They are on a 15-minute break, so just some quick impressions:

• Ford is totally credible, and while poised, she clearly is shaken recounting what happened.
  • The pursuit by the press seems unreal. At least one reporter confronted her in her classroom and in front of her students.
  • The laughter of Kavanaugh and Judge during the assault are her strongest lasting memory. So callous.

After the break:

• Sen. Whitehouse has white-hot rage that the FBI was never called into investigate.
  • Grassley continues to defend his decision to not investigate, by using timelines saying that there wasn’t enough time.
  • Sen. Blumenthal introduces Lindsey Graham’s book into the record. It supports Ford’s claim about victims trauma. Blumenthal also introduces the idea that Trump blocked the FBI investigation “amounts to a cover-up.”
  • The polygraph line of questioning at the AIRPORT when Ford is afraid of flying AND after her grandmother’s funeral AND SHE PASSED IT, blows up what I think she was trying to do.

Next break… But some thoughts. I think that the prosecutor is trying to establish that Ford in an unreliable witness. She’s afraid of flying, but she flies. Doesn’t know how she got home after the assault, etc. But the thing is that if you are afraid of being trapped (hence wanting there to be multiple entrances to rooms), it is not unreasonable that she would be afraid of being trapped on a plane. The lie detector test was held at the airport following Ford’s grandmother’s funeral, and even with all that stress she passed the test. The whole subtext of Ford being a neurotic person actually blew up on them.

This could signal a shift from Prznint Stupid: If he hears this on Fox:

Oops, sounds like he hear it:

One of the lines of questioning of Ford was trying to establish who is paying for her lawyers, the lie detector test, travel costs, etc., which is just outrageous.

And the Ford testimony concludes; Kavanaugh’s testimony will be after they have a longish break.

And now Kavanaugh speaks. He’s shouting and it’s only the opening statement.

Here’s my take-away: the GOP senators did not talk to Dr. Ford directly (they were afraid of the optics of a bunch of old white men ganging up on a woman… again), but the moment that they could, they tripped over themselves to apologize to Judge Kavanaugh for the way he’s been treated, and as an afterthought add something about Dr. Ford’s personal Hell.

We were treated to the spectacle of aluminum magnolia Lindsey Graham auditioning to Prznint Stupid for the role of Jeff Sessions, though Ayatollah Ted was doing his best Atticus Finch impersonation, too, probably as an insurance policy for when Beto wins.

And lastly, we got exactly 1 minute of Jeff Flake doing the Hamlet soliloquy about indecision before he runs off and votes the party line as usual.

As Churchill might say, it was not Wingnuttia’s finest hour.

(Sorry for the lack of posts today, but I was glued to watching the hearings from gavel up to gavel down. We’ll try to be back to normal tomorrow — TG)

This entry was posted in Brett Kavanaugh, Sex fiends, sexism, supreme court, War on Women. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to UPDATED: Ford-Kavanaugh Senate Hearing – Live

1. JTO says:

I am confident that I am not alone – but this whole circus is making me ill. The Kavanaugh-Trump-Grassley cabal – it just makes me sick. Please make every one of these bastards and all of their enablers pay.

• Diane says:

I just can’t watch these old fing men railroad this woman. I hate them all. I wish them the ugliest, most excruciatingly painful deaths or may the next woman any of them try to assault rip off their ds and crush their balls.

• Alison Redford says:

I second both these comments. This is all very anxiety-triggering, and these men need to just pick up their toys and go far away. Far, far away. They have enough money and stuff to live out the rest of their horrid lives somewhere where they won’t hurt any more regular human beings.

• 9thousandfeet says:

Ya’ll are made of sterner stuff than I.
        I’m utterly incapable of watching this shitshow. It helps that we don’t have a teevee, but I’m not even remotely tempted to play any videos of a decent woman being publicly tortured like this. My anger tank has been full to the brim for years with these fucking theocrats and Ayn Rand fetishists anyway, and the last thing I need is for it to overflow and put my honky ass in prison for the rest of my life.
        These miserable bastards are beneath contempt.
        There is no medicine for what ails them, they are completely beyond persuasion or redemption. I honestly don’t think it would be possible for me to be in the same room as someone like Lindsey Graham without punching him square in the nose. Shit, any and all of them really.
        If humankind is to have a viable future, these assholes must be confined somewhere separate from people of goodwill, under strict supervision, and allowed only to perform harmless theatrical games.

This is just too heartbreaking all around.

• Ivory Bill Woodpecker says:

“…these men need to just pick up their toys and go far away. Far, far away.”

I would suggest Mars, except the natives might object. 😛

JTO – this hearing is triggering for a lot of us, for a lot of reasons.

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Don’t forget the surrounding shitshow, like the dudebro in the ‘Women for Kavanaugh’ shirt- that asshole must have drawn the short straw for Pledge Week.

3. The detail that she is so terrified of being trapped that she had a second front door added to her house is the thing that broke me.

It’s a detail that haunts. But it also explains the fear of flying: trapped is trapped. A good question would be if she was afraid of flying BEFORE she was attacked?

• MDavis says:

Kind of explains developing a passion for surfing, too. Out in the ocean on a boards seems like as far away from walls as you can get in a relatively normal setting.

• MDavis says:

Also, too, it occurs to me that she was wearing a one-piece bathing suit, apparently because one of the things she was doing in this neighborhood was going to the pool and swimming and practicing diving… Anyway, That suit foiled the attack long enough for her to escape.
        Would it be too far into the weeds to allege that the association between swim-suit, swimming, water, ocean would add another layer of ‘OK, this is safer’ to being out on the ocean in the middle of water, and still with no walls trapping her.
        This is post “Jaws”, after all.

4. Karla says:

I see Kava-Nope is showing what a level-headed, impartial jurist he would be.
    Trumps gotta be happy — the ratings are very high. They’re through the roof!

5. purplehead says:

John Rogers:

Sometimes when I’m tempted to give up on my diet and stop running and working out, I remember the main reason I started my fitness regime, and it invigorates me: I need to live long enough to piss on a LOT of graves. The list is just getting longer, today.

(standing up and aiming…)

• This has been an ambition of mine since Ronnie Raygun was governor of California. Cheney put in extra effort to be added to the list.
      I’m hoping Barron has enough entrepreneurial spirit to charge people to piss on his Dad’s grave.

Not to brag, but I did pee on the Reagan Ranch Center in downtown Santa Barbara.

Dreams do come true!

• Not for the first time, Tengrain, you are my hero!

Oh, gosh, you would have done the same thing if the opportunity presented itself.

The RRC is in the heart of Santa Barbara, on State Street adjacent to the Amtrak station, it was dark, I was full… and I know I’m never gonna get near the actual grave (tho now that Nancy is there, it is tempting…)

My only regret is that I didn’t lay some pipe on the doormat.

• MDavis says:

A little off topic, but there is an aircraft carrier named after Ronnie. Hubby had me go look up a certain naval station as he somehow got hold of a rumor that the crew on that ship got a heads up on Google Earth grabbing satellite pictures there and went on strike, didn’t clean the decks for quite a while. Thing looked grubby af. Too bad that a later set of shots has replaced it, it was an opportunity for the regular crew to express their opinions.

• Hanger-crafted cobra coils is the least they deserve.

6. HarpoSnarx says:

What a brave woman. Just one look at her told me her story. The pain was coming out of her pores. It hauntingly reminded of friends of Bill and Lois who suffered deep, life-altering sexual abuse and trauma. Those wounds are lifelong and show to anyone who has an ounce of humanity. The predators snarl, ridicule and pound the table when they are caught and called out. If he is coronated, IMPEACH him. No more f*cking quarter with these Goopers.

7. MDavis says:

Is it just me, or does this tweet seem just wrong. I mean, the purpose of the whole nomination hearing is to assess the fitness for office in a lifetime position of authority over others. How is it a disaster to expose the nominee as unfit? That is just QA work exposing a problem before it actually causes damage by being deployed in the real world.
    The only way the ‘disaster’ comment makes sense is in the sense that R’s thought they would get away with this. And in that case, it is a disaster only for big ticket R’s (you know, the top 5% or so) while for the rest of us it is offering congress a chance to not fuck up.

• ming says:

The R’s don’t care one tiny little bit because they think Kav’s the guy to shore up the fundie base while making sure that Wall Street and congress can operate business as usual. They just need a little plausible deniability to do what they want. It’s a disaster because it’s fucking up their plan and exposing them for the treason weasels they are right before the mid-terms.

• MDavis says:

That is what I meant, pretty much. It should be averting disaster, but they are making it just oh, so clear that the real disaster is not getting their way on this. I do wonder how the sentiment ended up in a tweet from The Stranger, though. It doesn’t seem to be there anymore, by the way, so perhaps someone at The Stranger called it out.

8. RobGinChicago says:

Kava-naughty losing it translated: “How dare you deny my white male privilege!”

9. Wally says:

He’s a snowflake, an angry, alcohol abusing, women demeaning g snowflake.

10. C Montgomery Burns says:

As someone who used to drink a lot, and I mean A LOT, I can only add
    that Bra Kav is a drunk.
    On top of that, he’s was big time hung over during the interview.
    Oh, has boozehound face too.
    #experiance speaks volumes

• 9thousandfeet says:

Agree completely.
      If I hadn’t quit drinking back in 1982, there would have been none left for this shitweasel to get fucked up on and we wouldn’t have had to endure this shitshow at all. So it’s probably all my fault.
      But yeah, I hear ya.
      It takes one to know one. And that motherfucker is one for damn sure.

• C Montgomery Burns: I also drank while I was in college, frequently attaining blackout drunkitude. I quit drinking at the start of my second year of grad school. Kavanaugh presented as a dry drunk. The rage, temper, and the flushed face . . . Just sayin’.

11. I dearly wanted one of the questioners to say “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?” I sigh for missed opportunities.

12. MDavis says:

Tengrain says “We’ll try to be back to normal tomorrow ”
    Dare to dream, Tengrain. Dare to dream.

13. I am an old. I watched the hearings on the big teevee at the local Seniors center. There were at times as many as ten people parked in front of the screen. As a group, about 50-50 men to women, we were appalled by Judge Kavanaugh’s temper tantrum. Dr. Ford was calm and collected, except when she relived her rape trauma while reading the description of her attack.

Women hold up slightly more than half the sky in the US, and I hope they remember what they watched and, and vote for Democrats!