Oopsy! Little Kremlin-on-the-Potomac In Danger

Seething Rage.
(image courtesy Scissorhead MonkeyFister)

Axios, after being somewhat shamed yesterday for jumping the gun on the Rosenstein resignation scoop, got their hands on the draft announcement from the Department of Justice:

Rod Rosenstein has served the Department of Justice with dedication and skill for 28 years. His contributions are many and significant. We all appreciate his service and sincerely wish him well.

Matt Whitaker, my Chief of Staff for the last year, will instill confidence and uphold the integrity of the Department as the second highest law enforcement officer in the Nation.

Finally, I am confident that Noel Francisco will oversee the special counsel with a commitment to justice as Acting Attorney General for this matter. As I have said before, the American people deserve an expeditious resolution of this investigation consistent with the rule of law.

They note that its “veracity has been confirmed by three sources close to the White House with direct knowledge.”

That said, Axios’ Swan writes:

What I don’t yet know: How exactly the conversation between Rosenstein and Kelly changed on Monday. I don’t know what terms he had demanded and how, if at all, his demands changed from Friday to Monday. As of now, it’s possible that he remains Deputy Attorney General for the foreseeable future. He meets with President Trump on Thursday.

There’s some arcane policies about quitting versus being Your Fired’ed which could make a difference. Employees who resign can be replaced by other employees who have already gone through a confirmation; employees who are fired can only be replaced by employees that then go through a new confirmation.

So, in theory, Comrade Prznint could appoint someone to his liking if Rosenstein quits, and this someone could shut down the Little Kremlin-on-the-Potomac investigation.

That someone is clearly Noel Francisco, who you can see is ready and willing to be the bagman.

So once again, NYTimes, thanks a lot. Somewhere, Judith Miller is smiling.

This entry was posted in Comrade Preznint Stupid, The Russian Usurper, Jefferson Beauregard 'Stonewall' Sessions III, Little-Kremlin-on-the-Potomac. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Oopsy! Little Kremlin-on-the-Potomac In Danger

1. 9thousandfeet says:

What, I’m trying to figure out, might drive Rosenstein to quit rather than make Trump fire him? He has to be aware of the possible consequences of one action versus the other, and with even more clarity than that available to us down here in the cheap seats.
    He’s no raging progressive, obviously, but up to now his actions have tended to show he has no small dedication to the law and an independent DOJ—he approved a pretty wide scope for Mueller’s investigation for example—and he has to be more aware than Trump of just what Mueller has unearthed so far, so why the fuck would he consider making it easier for Der Führer to kneecap that whole operation?
    Am I missing something obvious?

9K – It is the same question I am wondering, too. I have no idea what monies he’s entitled to being fired vs. resigning, so maybe that’s part of the equation?

I have to think at some point resignation v. firing must have a personal impact, and I cannot blame him for choosing one or the other if there is.

• 9thousandfeet says:

I can, and sure as hell will, blame him it it simply comes down to some squalid issue like retirement money or some such. It’s not as if he’ll end up penniless and unemployable going forward if he makes them fire him – there will be a highly remunerative sinecure somewhere waiting for him, sure as eggs, and we all know it.

As for “personal impact”, well maybe. But what could that be if it ain’t money? How could the usual suspects hurt him if he wanders off their script?
        I don’t get it.

• roket says:

My money is on whether or not he gets to keep his National Security Clearance.

2. Dave Lippman says:

I am more convinced than ever that democracy in America is finished, and we are doomed to live under a fascist dictatorship under hereditary “Presidents-for-Life.”

Pence won’t be our next president…”Junior” will be. Then his kids. And so on.