UPDATED: WTF Feinstein?!

Kiss me, you fool!

Sen. DiFi apparently withheld the letter about Kavanaugh’s alleged sexual assault for weeks/months before turning it over to the FBI. It became a topic on the Sunday Talkies:

JOHN DICKERSON: “Senator when you get back to Washington you got a vote on Tuesday and the Judiciary Committee which you sit on. There’s been some information about sexual misconduct allegations against Brett Kavanaugh the president’s nominee. Have you looked at the letter that is now a part of his file? … Have you looked at that?”

SEN. THOM TILLIS: “I haven’t seen the letter. As a matter of fact, I believe that the member that first received the letter was as late as July. And quite honestly I’m shocked that the matter didn’t come up in the nearly 32 hours of testimony that Judge Kavanaugh was before as in the open session or the nearly hour and a half session that we had in a closed session. That information never came up. So when we get back to Washington this week we’ll take a look at it but it really raises a question in my mind about if — if — if this was material to the confirmation process, why on earth over the past four to six weeks hasn’t it been discussed among the committee members?”

JAKE TAPPER: “You’re hoping to meet with [Brett] Kavanaugh this week, are you going to bring up this accusation?”

SEN. DOUG JONES: “Oh, I’m sure I will, if I get a chance to meet. It’s a very serious allegation, but at this point, it’s an anonymous letter, you’re not going to be able to really test it unless somebody comes forward with more information. If I get a chance to meet, obviously I obviously would have to bring that up.”

And we turn now to Tiger Beat:

SAN FRANCISCO — California state Sen. Kevin de León, the Democratic progressive aggressively challenging Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) for reelection, accused her of “gross misconduct” in her handling of a letter by an unnamed woman alleging sexual misconduct by Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

De León, in an interview with POLITICO Friday, blasted Feinstein for not raising the issue as Kavanaugh sat before the Judiciary committee for his confirmation hearings last week — or even discussing the matter privately her fellow Democrats on the Judiciary committee until this week.

Her performance underscores how “she has historically demonstrated that she is not willing to take the fight to the Republicans,” he said. “She has been very passive in her approach regarding the most important Supreme Court nominee in a generation,’’ showing “a huge detachment to the realities” of women’s experiences in many communities.

I have to agree with De León in this. It’s mind-boggling that DiFi withheld this allegation—for what? some sort of October Surprise for Kavanaugh? De León is exactly right, this is not just about Kavanaugh per se, DiFi let down women everywhere, too.

De León is running against DiFi in the 2018 Pie Fight (yes, it is a Dem-on-Dem election), and I really hope that he wins. California deserves a Democrat from the Democratic wing of the party.

UPDATE 1: The victim has come forward.

This entry was posted in 2018 Pie Fight. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to UPDATED: WTF Feinstein?!

1. Bruce388 says:

One theory I’ve read is DiFi decided to wait on releasing the letter to torpedo BK late in the day. If she had released the letter earlier, BK’s nomination would have been withdrawn and FatNixon would have nominated someone less repulsive. Apparently the ONLY reason BK was nominated was FatNixon’s belief that he would provide protection for him.

So, if BK’s nomination goes down now, there’s not enough time for FatNixon to get a new Supreme before the mid terms. We’ll see how that works out.

• C Montgomery Burns says:

Bingo.
      And it appears to be working.

• Infidel753 says:

I was going to say exactly the same thing. Hold your fire until you see the whites of their eyes. By delaying, if the accusation can be substantiated and/or gains traction with the voters (so that those Republicans whose re-election is hanging by a thread are afraid to ram this confirmation through), Feinstein gave us a fighting chance to hold this seat open until a potential Democratic Senate majority can tell Trump that any further wingnuts he nominates will simply be rejected.

It’s dirty politics, yes, but after their stonewalling of Merrick Garland, the Senate Republicans have lost any right to be treated honorably. If this sinks Kavanaugh and a Democratic majority holds the seat vacant until January 20, 2021, then so be it. Feinstein just might have saved Roe v. Wade and the ACA.

2. Osirisopto says:

Wow! It’s almost like she knows nothing she can do will change anything and is using this outrage for her own electoral advantage. It’s almost like she’s been doing this for decades.
    [\snark]

At least she isn’t voting for the scumbag.

3. w3ski4me says:

I will admit I haven’t ‘closely’ followed DiFi’s career but I have always been skeptical of her since her SF days before being the Mayor. She has always been “herself before party”. I personally don’t like her or her politics. What do you call a Democrat in name only? Fine and great if she can sink Kavanaugh, but why wait so long to produce the evidence?
    I can smell some bullshit here and the smell comes from her.
    w3ski

4. San Franciscans missed an opportunity derail DiFi’s patrician ass when they didn’t vote in Jello Biafra in ’79. No crystal ball on that one.

5. laura says:

While I’m not president of the local chapter of the DiFi fan club, had she revealed this womans identity who wished to remain anonymous, people would use that against her.
    Now there’s two women getting smeared, so way to go fucking He-Man Women Haters Club.

Laura –

I don’t dispute that DiFi was trying to protect the woman.

Now that the victim has come forward, the whole story has a new urgency. I am worried for her, as all of Possum Hollar is going to make her life hell.

6. Parfigliano says:

Just Di Fi being DiFi. She makes a show of being a DEM but never does anything to rock the Senate boat. She is all show and only cares about her seat in the Senate.

Useless.

7. hocuspocus13 says:

Clarence Thomas…where are you?

8. donnah says:

Well, a small voice of dissent here, but I believe Feinstein was very conflicted with this news in the letter. The woman who wrote it at first was adamant about remaining anonymous and Feinstein probably felt her hands were tied, believing that an anonymous letter would be tossed out in a heartbeat. Timing is everything, I know, but there was obviously a lot of back and forth to make a decision to release the letter.

I don’t doubt that Feinstein also worked the timing to the Democrats’ advantage as an edge against Kavanaugh. I don’t know her political history, as others of you do. But I do think she wanted to make public this story of attempted rape committed by Kavanaugh before it was too late, and she struggled to keep Ford safe as long as possible.

Whether Kavanaugh committed rape (attempted rape is just rape that was interrupted) yesterday or thirty years ago, it’s a reflection of his belief that he has the power to do whatever he wants. If we can stop him now, we show him that we have the power.

9. Paul Avery says:

I’m a bit surprised that no one here seems to have interest in the tap-dancing skills of the lady Republican senators.

Oh, I am interested Paul! Here’s the list:

• Alaska – Lisa Murkowski
      • Iowa – Joni Earns
      • Maine – Susan Collins
      • Mississippi – Cindy Hyde-Smith
      • Nebraska – Deb Fisher
      • W. Virginia – Shelley Moore Capito

I cannot picture Joni Earnst being part of a pink wave rebuking a nominee from Dear Leader. I suspect that the other women have a similar view of sisterhood, but I don’t know ANYTHING about the last three women, they seem to fly under the radar.

Any Scissorheads from these states want to weigh in?

10. eVilleMike says:

DiFi may finally be listening, and taking the bold steps we’ve needed Dems to take for a very long time. But remember the cardinal rule regarding these things – “go ahead and shoot, just be damn fucking sure you don’t miss”.

EvilleMike –

Yeay, if it works, then 11-dimensional chess. But fundamentally growing up with her as my Senator, she consistently let us down.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s