Great Signs, Cont.

coyotewarning

Beep-beep!

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Bruce388)

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Great Signs, Cont.

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

That’s a great flyer, but I have one quibble with it- coyotes are, by temperament, diurnal. The only reason the ones here in the suburban and urban East are nocturnal is because they have learned that there are fewer humans abroad at night. If you see a coyote active during the day, it’s just practicing the traditional lifestyle of its people.

• MDavis says:

They are pretty nocturnal here in the unwashed high-plains desert, too. We don’t see them a lot, but we do hear them talking about their plans for the night (I am assuming that is what they are saying) from time to time.

• They are mostly nocturnal here, too in TSKoA, but then pretty much anything that doesn’t live/work in an air-conditioned building is, anyway.

We do have distinct urban and suburban populations; a researcher has identified a permanently urban population centered around a large wash in central Tucson. Easy means of travel avoiding roads, and there’s a large park nearby for scavenging, plus a healthy concentration of pet cats prey in the surrounding residential neighborhoods.

I’ve seen them a number of times on my daily bicycle commute.

2. Ten Bears says:

Good thing I’m smarter than the average bear, aeh?

3. E.A. Blair says:

The coyote’s doing things the American way – he’s suing the Acme Corp.

4. DarkStar says:

Wile . . .E . . . Coyote, Suuuuuuuper Genius!

5. Jim says:

We have coyotes here in suburban MD near DC. Don’t often see them but when I have it has been in the daytime. They’ll stroll across the street as close as 20 ft. in front of me and won’t even glance my way. Weird.

6. Art says:

According to a friend in Arizona coyotes are often, depending on the season, neither nocturnal nor diurnal but rather functionally crepuscular; meaning active in the twilight. It is a popular mode in hot and dry climates. Mid-day they stay in a cool spot.

Then again coyotes are highly adaptive. It wouldn’t surprise me if they traveled long distances in the dead of the night, hunted near human habitations in the twilight, but hunted in the wild during the day if it isn’t too hot.