Dance to The Algorithm

The automated feature at the Seattle Library, which recommends books based on something-or-other, knows me so well…

“N [sic] Zero Hour for Gen X [Ed. Subtitle: “How the Last Adult Generation Can Save America From Millennials” –TG], Matthew Hennessey calls on his generation, Generation X, to take a stand against tech-obsessed millennials, apathetic baby boomers, utopian Silicon Valley ‘visionaries,’ and the menace to top them all: the soft totalitarian conspiracy known as the Internet of Things. Soon Gen Xers will be the only cohort of Americans who remember life as it was lived before the arrival of the Internet. They are, as Hennessey dubs them, ‘the last adult generation,’ the sole remaining link to a time when childhood was still a bit dangerous but produced adults who were naturally resilient. More than a decade into the social media revolution, the American public is waking up to the idea that the tech sector’s intentions might not be as pure as advertised. The mountains of money being made off our browsing habits and purchase histories are used to fund ever-more extravagant and utopian projects that, by their very natures, will corrode the foundations of free society, leaving us all helpless and digitally enslaved to an elite crew of ultra-sophisticated tech geniuses. But it’s not too late to turn the tide. There’s still time for Gen X to write its own future. A spirited defense of free speech, eye contact, and the virtues of patience, Zero Hour for Gen X is a cultural history of the last 35 years, an analysis of the current social and historical moment, and a generational call to arms.”

And I noted that the library has 5 copies of the book, and no holds on it. Go figure.

In Nature, poisonous animals are usually brightly colored, sort of as a warning sign for all the other critters to have a fighting chance of not being eaten. Methinks over-wrought prose might be the warning sign of a dangerous human. But enough about Tucker.

Millennials got a raw deal, one of the rawest deals ever. They are going to inherit a world that is polluted and a debt bomb that will keep them in servitude until the grave. It’s why I think that they will vote for their own interests and that will help the rest of us, too. They are the most educated generation ever, and I don’t think the Republicans can come up with a line of BS that will work on these kids.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Dance to The Algorithm

1. Feline Mama says:

Huhhhhh, …….So, LSD will make a come back, yes??

• Oh god, the techbros are on that too. My daily ‘Medium’ emailspam continually has references to how ‘microdosing’ will make me all better at everything.

• Lulymay says:

I’ve just entered my 80th year and am receiving messages on how to purchase Viagara on the internet (daily) if you please!!!
        p.s. coming down to your stomping grounds for my 3 month hiatus from the rain forest known as B.C. (my 20th year, old dear)

2. JTO says:

As an ‘X’er – I have to say – fuck, this boat has been sinking for a long time. When I was a ‘kid’ and we got this moniker, people – real, serious people, were asking why we were turning away from Madonna and toward Nirvana – and that ANGST had become an inexplicable thing for us. There have been signs, people, that things ain’t right.
    It is just that now, everybody has student loans. Everyone has debt that cannot be paid, forgiven or avoided. What was reserved for the permanently struggling class before- a generation or two ago -these things are now widespread – pandemic-universal now. It is not that I am kung-fu, this is something many of us ahve been living for a very long time., .
    Mosh-pitting Xers as the last adult generation? Fuck that noise!.I am not Ward Cleaver. I know that the world is worse off now than when I found it and due to no fault of my own. If anyone is going to save us – it is younger, faster, smarter people than me. And they have my full support!.

3. The deeply pernicious myth that we are somehow separated into various “Generations” as if we are no more than 17-year Cicada broods, has never been anything but a tool for the 0.01% to divide us and set us against each other. It’s bullshit. It’s destructive. It turns us against each other.

Not all “Boomers” are greedy assholes, not all “Millenials” are debt-ridden victims.

It’s ALWAYS been a struggle of the 99% against the 0.01%…it’s just for a short while between 1932 and about 1970 the 99% started to get a hold on more power, because for a short while the 0.01% feared us.

It’s no coincidence that the very things that corrode our democracy today, the staggering income inequality, the ascendance of oligarchs, the demolition of unions, the steady erosion of civil rights all came after awareness reached a high-water mark in the 60’s and 70’s, when the privations of the Depression and the war were eroded by time and plenty and the oligarchs could re-assert their dominance (The Kochs have been working on destroying democracy since the 70s), just like the rollback of environmental regs now are taking place in a time where people don’t really remember when rivers burned and the air was unbreathable.

As driftglass says The Liberal Superpower AND the Liberal Curse has always been “Memory”

We’ve been in a multi-generational battle all along, and allowing us to divide ourselves has only served the Enemy.

It has NEVER been old versus young, it has ALWAYS been rich versus poor.

• The current divisiveness among generations began when hippies and Black people were pitted against one another in the Sixties. That was always a shallow and stupid dichotomy, as some Black people are hippies, and some hippies are Black, or something. Put on the Hendrix, and spark up a fatty!

4. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Ugh, author is WSJ editor and NY Post writer… no need to crack the binding on this one.

5. Dennis Cole says:

“The mountains of money being made off our browsing habits and purchase histories are used to fund ever-more extravagant and utopian projects that, by their very natures, will corrode the foundations of free society, leaving us all helpless and digitally enslaved to an elite crew of ultra-sophisticated tech geniuses.”

I, for one, heartily welcome our new tech genius overlords. And how do I get a permit to climb one of those mountains? Can I keep a few loose bills for a souvenir?

6. Adam Eran says:

This “debt bomb” nonsense is just propaganda to make Millenials fall into line, promoting the same austerity that has made their lives more miserable. The “debt” of nations with sovereign, fiat currency is far more like bank debt than household debt.

If you have a bank account, that is your asset, but the bank’s liability. Same thing; different point of view. Protesting about the size of national “debt” is roughly like going down to the bank and telling them you want your account (their debt) to be smaller. Bizarre. Crazy. But people do it.

I didn’t make this stuff up. Check here for more about why this “debt bomb” nonsense is not promoting anything but more austerity. (if the HTML doesn’t work, that link is http://rooseveltinstitute.org/federal-budget-not-like-household-budget-heres-why/)

• Moreover the Austrian GOP’s answer to this: “Cut taxes! Raise Spending! Slash entitlements!” is the following ‘Family Budget’ dinner table conversation:

Dad: “As you kids know, things have gotten tight here in the GOP household, so your mom and I are taking some steps to make it better.”

“Starting Monday, I am cutting my hours to half-time. With so much rest I’ll be three times as productive at work and surely my boss will reward me my giving me a huge raise, more than enough to offset losing half my salary.”

“Your mom will stop working entirely to stay at home and take care of you.”

“Since we’re going to have cash-flow problems, starting today we only eat three times a week. Sorry kids, I know you’re growing but we have to cut back on these sort of entitlements.”

“My man cave plans are already set, but Samsung has come out with a 300″ 25K Monitor; it’s only three time my new annual salary, so of course we have to upgrade the TV! Football games here we come! I promise you kids will be able to split whatever catered meals my buddies and I don’t finish on game day!”