Sen. McCain Update

One last mavericky act for Grandpa Walnuts: palliative care.

While we never spared him for a moment, we also never claimed he was anything less than a bonafide war hero (even if Comrade Stupid prefers his heroes uncaptured, we think McCain was pretty extraordinary).

We are going to miss Walnuts and his antics. We wish him peace and all of our sympathies go to Walnuts’ family.

This entry was posted in Grandpa Walnuts, NeoCons. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sen. McCain Update

1. Dennis Cole says:

So sad to hear this, but I can understand why. I have a few friends who gave up on chemo/radiation after just one session, saying it was as painful and odious as the disease itself. A couple of them chose suicide, and the rest went from palliative care, to hospice, to their eternal rest.
    Ol’ Grandpa Walnuts angered me many a time with his political stance, and his votes on various pieces of legislation, but I WILL miss him, and I applaud his bravery, not only as a POW, but in taking this action as well.

2. This is sad and for real, not Trumptwatter ‘SAD’..

I never voted for him, and almost always opposed his policies, but flawed as he is, he did serve our country with distinction (most of the time [cough] Keating Five [cough] [cough]Sara Palin???!!![cough]) and I deeply respect him for that.

When he stood up to that batshit lady screaming that Obama was an ‘arab terrorist’, his flat putdown of her, no weaseling, no ‘oh we can have differing opinions’ , just ‘No ma’am, he’s an honorable American’ , was possibly the last gasp of actual civil campaigning I’ve seen on the part of a Republican. I suspect at that moment, he knew that he had lost not only the election, but the party he was in had completely lost it’s way, perhaps irretrievably so.

I expect Khemtrails Kelli is running down children and little old ladies to stick herself to be first in line at the Gov’s office to be appointed, because she knows she’s going to get creamed by McSally in the primary. (the true old-school AZ wingnut faction is going to split their vote between KK and Joe “Five Star Felon” Arpaio, and McSally has strapped herself to the mast of Trumpism.)

Palliative care means, maybe a few weeks, so it’ll be up to the Governor to appoint a replacement. There will be calls, probably to be ignored, for the Governor to wait until January, because there’s a chance we can flip the office.

Wonder if Doug Il Deuce Deucey will pull the ripcord on the governorship and appoint himself. Probably not, because that would throw a bomb into the Republican state races in this Our Year of the Blue Tsunami, but it sure would be wildly entertaining to watch.

• diane says:

“When he stood up to that batshit lady screaming that Obama was an ‘arab terrorist’, his flat putdown of her, no weaseling, no ‘oh we can have differing opinions’ , just ‘No ma’am, he’s an honorable American’ ”

Those few words he spoke that day showed me he had a bit of humanity. I always called him the war whore.

• Karla says:

Except for the fact that the opposite of Arab isn’t decent family man, I agree.

Here’s the excerpt:
        A woman came up to McCain at a rally and said, “I can’t trust Obama. I have read about him, and he’s not, he’s not — he’s an Arab.” Her comment prompted McCain to immediately shake his head and take the microphone from her.

“No ma’am,” McCain said. “He’s a decent family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what this campaign is all about.”

I’ve never been able to get past the idea that Arabs can’t be decent.

3. donnah says:

McCain fought his captors with dignity and now he faces death with dignity, He was on the wrong side of politics too often, but did show glimmers of guts and fairness. He certainly never deserved Trump’s disdain; Trump isn’t fit to kiss McCain’s boots. And Trump’s last act of failing to mention McCain’s name in the military spending bill proves that. An insult to a dying man, completely unforgivable.

4. MDavis says:

Hubby oncepoke to him on the phone from our state of Washington. He (McCain) was just checking his facts, that they both were warriors in the same place. Although hubbe was not there for as long as John McCain.
    They called each other brother for it.
    He will be missed, erratic judgement and all.

5. 9thousandfeet says:

One cannot know these things ahead of time, but I’m pretty sure he handled his incarceration in Vietnam with more grit and dignity than I would have been able to muster.
    For that reason alone, now, at this point in his journey, I’m going to back off and wish him a peaceful exit.
    And fuck Donald Trump, just fuck that degenerate bone spurs piece of shit.

6. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Back in 2006, McCain was the keynote speaker at an immigration reform event at St Barnabas Church on the Bronx/Yonkers border. The crowd was multiracial, multiethnic, but given the neighborhood was heavily Irish. We serenaded this man with an a cappella rendition of Fields of Athenry when he finished. A stone would have wept to hear it.

Two years later, he was running on an anti-immigration ticket, appearing in a ‘Build the Dang Wall’ ad with a sheriff who was involved in an affair with an undocumented Mexican man. Gadzooks, what a disappointment he turned out to be. It’s a shame his end will be so tragic, his legacy so mixed.