“X = X,” was what I remembered about my first day of Algebra and suddenly the world of math seemed to make sense. Whatever you did on the left had to end up the same value on the right. Math was the ultimate tautology! Everything had to be balanced.
And then yesterday, Wrong-Again Rudy was unbalanced:
Giuliani: When you tell me that, you know, he should testify because he’s going to tell the truth and he shouldn’t worry, well that’s so silly because it’s somebody’s version of the truth. Not the truth.
Chuck Todd: Truth is truth.
Giuliani: No, no, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth. The President of the United States says, “I didn’t…”
Todd: Truth isn’t truth?
Giuliani: “No, no, no.”
Todd: This is going to become a bad meme.
X ≠ X
Rudy is adjudicating in the court of public opinion. And we know that for Comrade Stupid’s base, the “truth isn’t truth.” Possum Hollar does not trust or believe the FAKE NEWS!!1! For them, the truth is whatever the prznint says it is.
Destroying objective truth is Prznint Stupid’s top accomplishment:
- Kellyanne Conway on “Meet the Press,” Jan. 22, 2017: “alternative facts.”
- President Trump, daily: “fake news.”
- Trump to the VFW National Convention in Kansas City, Mo., on July 25: “And just remember: What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
- Giuliani on “Meet the Press” yesterday: “Truth isn’t truth.”
- Slogans of the Party in George Orwell’s “1984”: “War is peace … Freedom is slavery … Ignorance is strength.”
Somewhere, George Orwell is laughing.