Anticipation

The Lyin’, the Witch Hunt, and the Wardrobe

“I hear Curaçao is nice.”

Friday, the jurors in the Manafort trial told Judge Ellis that they had not reached a verdict and wanted to go home for the weekend (they asked if they could leave early: someone had an event). He granted their request. Deliberations will continue Monday morning.

So what is taking the jurors so long?

It seems like a straight-forward case of tax evasion, failure to report foreign bank accounts, and also bank fraud. The prosecution produced irrefutable documented evidence and witnesses who proved that Manafort earned tens of millions of dollars from foreign dictators, stashed the money in secret, off-shore bank accounts and did not pay U.S. taxes on it.

Last night in the same Twitter chat room I mentioned before, one Tweep thought that there must be Red Hats on the jury, and/or they returned home and watched Fox News and have become corrupted. I still assume that competent jury screening would filter out this possibility. I mean, those US Attorneys are pretty smart and experienced people. Even a dummy like me would be on the lookout for that.

There is nothing wrong. I’m not worried

There are 18 charged and the jury is going over each count and discussing the issues at length. It will take a few days to do that.

But what I am worried about: Ellis said that he has received threats (of an unspecified nature) and is now guarded by U.S. Marshals.

“I had no idea this case would excite these emotions, I can tell you frankly.”

I guess Ellis has never heard of Comrade Trump’s base, who regularly make death threats to the press for poor coverage of Dear Leader. Imagine what they would threaten to someone who actually can do something to the orange shitgibbon? ElLis’s ignorance of the base also explains why he did not sequester the jury, which puzzled me initially.

So, of course Ellis is getting threats, and of course the jury (if/when they are revealed) will be getting threats, too. It’s the way of Possum Hollar.

This entry was posted in Paul 'Putin's Pal' Manafort. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Anticipation

500 Quatloos says Trump already knows all there is to know about each one of those jurors.

I’d be surprised, actually. That would take concentration.

Now, I don’t doubt that his staff knows everything, and is prepared to act.

• osirisopto says:

If the internet troll -in-chief had that information it would have been smeared across the intertubes before sunrise.

2. 9thousandfeet says:

That the judge in this case is surprised by the “emotion” engendered by this case raises a number of questions, not least of which is where does that muppet get his news?
    That the MSM continues to do a terrible job of keeping the citizenry informed about where the vast majority of all the anger and bellicosity is coming from is plenty clear enough, but even with that a person would have to pretty much depend of Fox News and/or Breitbart alone to be genuinely surprised that he now feels the need for extra protection.
    If it turns out that any or all of those jurors identities are revealed publicly, just imagine what a fucking nightmare it will be for them!!

I get the feeling that Ellis is the classic out-of-touch elite. I know he was appointed by St. Ronnie, but I don’t get the sense that he is a drooling Fox-watching moron; he would know for sure that this trial is red meat for Possum Hollar.

3. RWW says:

The threats themselves would be pretty obvious what side they’re coming from. I hope the Feds are following up on them and taking action. Methinks Ellis is feigning his naive response since he knew full well whom he was dealing with in this case and even accused the prosecution of using his court to go after the president.

4. It’s eighteen counts, of some of arcane tax or finance rules; you have to discuss and vote on each one separately, just wrangling 12 adults can take a lot of time.

Even I would take the time to carefully consider each one, and honest disagreement happens. On the jury I actually served on through a whole trial, the Foreman was all ready to pronounce the two defendants guilty on all counts right off the bat.

Took us two days to decide that they were guilty of some counts and not of others, and there were only four counts in the trial.

Also a jury is entirely capable of telling a judge if they think one juror is unduly or unfairly biased for or against a defendant; It would have to be extreme, but a judge could dismiss a juror and appoint on of the alternates, especially if there was evidence that the juror was following the case in the news or social media.

The defense would make great hay of this on appeal, but it could stand.

5. Pingback: Jury Anticipation – FairAndUNbalanced.com