I’m Saying A Little Prayer for Aretha

The Queen of Soul is reportedly in hospice, and I am very sad. Franklin has been a constant in my musical life; she was ever-present on the radio growing up, and almost always on the stereo at home. I cannot imagine a world without her.

This song/performance is a particular favorite of mine. If you ever were (or are) a musician, you probably know that mad genius Burt Bararach wrote this melody, and it is one of the most difficult pop songs to perform. The beat changes constantly (sometime only for a bar), the key changes, it is notoriously difficult to perform as written. Bacharch himself said that Aretha is the only performer who ever got it right.

This entry was posted in Hero Worship. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to I’m Saying A Little Prayer for Aretha

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Thoughts and prayers, and not in a snarky way.

2. If it’s Aretha’s time to check out, I am happy she still is awake and knows she is loved! She has been a part of my life’s soundtrack since the Sixties!

3. Osirisopto says:

She is a great artist who will be remembered for centuries.

4. laura says:

Every song, every performance created joy and sent it out to the world.
    She is truly the Queen of Soul.
    I wish her a beautiful transition into the next, surrounded by bountifull love and Grace.

5. purplehead says:

The very first CD I bought way back in the early 1970s, was “The Best of Aretha Franklin.” (And she still had a lot of best to come!) Then I gave the same CD to my Mom, who had never heard Aretha sing, and Mom smiled smiled grinned and started to move around.

6. Karla says:

Thanks, TG, for this post and the insight into why Aretha’s version of this song is worth listening to.
    R E S P E C T