Unite the White and NPR

Death of the Media

Klan Kan Dance

Tomorrow is the grim, one year anniversary of the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, during which America witnessed the killing of Heather Heyer when white supremacist James Alex Fields deliberately and at high speed rammed into a crowd with his Dodge Charger. Heyer was protesting the fascist/racists who were, in turn, protesting the removal of Confederate statues. (Everyone always leaves that little detail out of the stories. I wonder why?)

Today Sunday is an encore protest cleverly called Unite the Right 2 in D.C. What, the racists couldn’t spring for an Electric Boogaloo?

And for some reason known only to themselves, NPR decided to give Jason Kessler—the organizer of this Hate-a-Palooza—a platform to talk to the NPR audience about the poor, put-upon, never gets a break, white dude.

First, Kessler credentials himself:

I’m not a white supremacist. I’m not even a white nationalist. I consider myself a civil and human rights advocate focusing on the under-represented Caucasian demographic.

(and you got to love that “even,” so there is a scale or something?)

The under-represented Caucasian demographic. Let that sink in for a moment.

Noel King: “In what ways are white people in America underrepresented?”

Kessler replied:

Well, because they’re the only group that is not allowed to organize into political organizations and lobbies and talk explicitly about what interests are important to them as a people. You have blacks, who are able to organize with Black Lives Matter or the NAACP. You have Jews, who have the ADL. Muslims have CAIR.

Maybe someone should introduce him to the Republican Party? Give him a jar of Mayo and drop him into Indiana. The GOP will find him.

KING: “You are going to march on Washington this weekend, legally, with the permission of the National Park Service. What do you hope to accomplish?”

Well, my No. 1 goal is to make sure that it’s peaceful. No. 2, I think that we have to stand up for the First Amendment because the First Amendment is under attack, you know, if not legally, in practice. When people are too afraid to…

Pretty loose grasp on the First Amendment, that. Kessler continues:

..The problem is is that, legally, I have the right. It’s not that the police are trying to oppress me or that the government is trying to oppress me. Who is trying to oppress the rights of white folks who are standing up for themselves are antifa, who come there to use violence to shut down speech, and this has been documented. I mean, there are riots happening in Portland, in Berkeley, all over. You just think that there’s one side to that?

And thus he completely destroys his own First Amendment argument.

King: “You say that you’re not a white supremacist, but you do think there are differences between races. What are the differences?”

Replied Kessler:

I’m not a human biologist. You can go and look into that. There’s people like Charles Murray [ED – The Bell Curve author.] who study that. There are differences in mental life just like there are in physical life. I mean, it’s ridiculous to say that, you know, there are no differences in height, let’s say, between a Pygmy and a Scandinavian. So if we acknowledge that there are physical differences, obviously, there are differences in behavior, in levels of aggression, in intelligence, in, you know, bone density, et cetera, et cetera. But that’s…

King: “Do you think that white people are smarter than black people?”

Replied Kessler:

There is enormous variation between individuals, but the IQ testing is pretty clear that it seems like Ashekenazi Jews rate the highest in intelligence, then Asians, then white people, then, uh, Hispanic people and black people. There’s enormous variation, but as a matter of science, IQ testing is pretty clear.

The press does not usually give valuable airtime to every racist crank from Possum Hollar who can fill out a National Park Service application for a rally, but for some reason, NPR decided to do exactly that.

There is absolutely no news value that NPR gained from broadcasting this, and I feel pretty safe in saying that NPR listeners did not really gain any insight into the under represented caucasian demographic, either.  If it was supposed to be sensationalism, it failed, too, but what it did do was to legitimize and enable racists. Kessler can add to his media credits that he appeared on NPR:

Nice
Polite
Republicans

NPR

We’ll give last word to Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow with the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism:

This entry was posted in Death of the Media, NPR, racism, White Punks on Dope. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Unite the White and NPR

1. osirisopto says:

Yeah, they all look peaceful to me… peaceful for a gang fight.

2. osirisopto says:

Yeah, they all look peaceful to me… peaceful for a gang fight.

3. donnah says:

FFS, stop interviewing White Supremicists, Nazis, Diehard Trumpists, and white people who still think the tariffs will be great. Stop it. They are stupid, vile, hateful idiots and their opinions aren’t valid or useful.
    The end.

4. That rhetoric about black groups and organisations is so dangerous. I read some snippets of what the dude that crashed the plane was saying and I was confused. Until I realised that there are so many people pushing this narrative that white people are ignored or underrepresented in countries where they make up a VAST majority of the population. Talk about the blind and willfully ignorant leading the blind and… well, wellfully ignorant.

5. Jim says:

I have long been a loyal NPR listener. In any event, they are the only outlet on the radio for actual national and international news and analysis. We have a good local radio all news sttation (WTOP thank you). Otherwise, the radio is just drek nowadays. But this kind of “interview” is a disgrace. Either NPR should have put Kessler on with a counter debater or don’t put this idiot on at all. He could barely ariculate his own position. So disappointed.

• Redhand says:

I used to think of NPR and PBS as purveyors of “real, unbiased news” until driftglass pointed out one-too-many times the bothsiderist prion disease that is the Shields And Brooks “Week in review” segment on Friday nights. They I stopped taking them seriously, and became similarly disenchanted with NPR.

This doesn’t “help NPR’s credibility” for me. WTF were they thinking giving the goddamned organizer of C-ville’s “Unite the Right” and one-year anniversary march a free, unchallenged opportunity to normalize his vile white racism? It’s disgusting and insane to see NPR do this. Again, what were they thinking?

• purplehead says:

Jim, if you have an iPod, iPhone, smartphone, etc. you could download the BBC radio app here. From the app you could listen to any of many BBC radio stations, including World Service News, World Service; Radio 4, which includes news, comedy, interviews, GARDENER’S QUESTION TIME (! a personal favorite; GQT also has a separate podcast so you could listen to it any time you’d want. Otherwise GQT from the BBC app on Radio 4 broadcasts Sunday mornings in USA time); Radio 3 (wonderful classical music station). Actually, you could listen to all of these stations on your computer, too.

Forget NPR. I stopped listening to that Republican-lite broadcast at least 10 years ago. Ya know, the persistence of Cokie Roberts and David Brooks and Scott Simon and Steve Inskeep. Fuck ’em.

[Tengrain was here! – Tengrain is also going to download the app!]

• purplehead says:

Also, too, CBC radio, as well, in addition.

6. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

They would have better served the public by putting on an actual biologist to inform people that race has no real biological basis but is a social construct.

7. Steve-O says:

I sent a message to NPR saying I’m done with them.
    As for today (sunday) can someone give it the headline it needs:
    NAZIS march in Washington DC.
    Anything else is normalization.

8. Steve Boone says:

For me, the most recent of many final straws from NPR came a few weeks ago during some news item about some outrage from this depraved administration. They said, for context about whatever the issue was, “for those who have forgotten, this came in the midst of the Hillary Clinton email scandal…” Of all the terms they could have used, they chose “scandal.” Even “controversy,” although still giving far too much credibility to the assholes promoting it, would have been more appropriate.

Stupid goys.