We were told in the aftermath of the 2016 Goat Rodeo that Possum Hollar was economically insecure, and of course the NYTimes has sent an army of Jane Goodall-wannabes deep into the white heart of the Hollar to find out what makes the yokels tick, and they keep getting surprised that it was not economics. Go figure.
Axios has a surprising reveal: Hair Furor’s base might be intolerant!
What you think of Trump on immigration — is what you think of Trump.
- In key voter groups we’re tracking with SurveyMonkey, there’s almost perfect alignment between President Trump’s approval rating on immigration and his popularity.
In our new poll, Axios’ Stef Kight writes, rural voters are Trump’s iron wall of defense: They give him rock-solid backing on his overall immigration policy, as well as his signature issue — his proposed border wall.
- Their views are at odds with the majorities who disapprove of his policies in both cases.
- DACA, an Obama-era policy that gives deportation protection to undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children, is supported even by rural voters, 61% to 35%.
- White suburban women, a vital group for Trump to retain in 2020, oppose the wall 54% to 44%.
The bottom line: Three months out from midterms, more than half of voters disapprove of Trump’s immigration policies, support DACA and oppose building a border wall along the southwest border.
- So rural voters are the only key group he can count on— while Democrats can focus on turning out everyone else.
It’s not exactly Who Shot JR-level mystery that the residents of Possum Hollar are a-feered of the swarthy hordes, or that Comrade Stupid panders to them, for that matter. I wish the Dims would quit with the stupid waste of time/money trying to get these voters into the big tent.
Let the Republicans keem ’em.