“The Justice Department plans to alert the public to foreign operations targeting U.S. democracy under a new policy designed to counter hacking and disinformation campaigns such as the one Russia undertook in 2016 to disrupt the presidential election.
“The government will inform American companies, private organizations and individuals that they are being covertly attacked by foreign actors attempting to affect elections or the political process.”
The DOJ will consider a number of factors in notifying people, including:
- whether sources and methods are at risk
- whether the attribution is as certain as possible
- whether the announcement would abide “with longstanding policies regarding the timing of charges or taking overt investigative steps” if it took place during an election.
The DOJ has an unwritten rule not to impact an election with any announcements, which as we all know is the rule that James Comey broke when he announced that the FBI was re-opening the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s personal email server, and threw the election to Comrade Trump.
Had the policy been in place in 2016, it could have alerted:
- Faceberg that a foreign actor was using its business to distribute propaganda.
- The DNC that a foreign hacker was trying to hack its systems.
- Comrade Stupid’s campaign that Russia was trying to aid it.
- The General Public (not the band) if “federal or national interests…outweigh any countervailing considerations.”
I’m trying to figure out if that would have mattered to any of those four:
- Faceberg, as we now know, already knew the Russians were buying ads but what the heck: Russians need a voice, too!, as Zuck would say. And the checks cleared.
- The Podesta Bolognese Sauce & Co. trade secrets were already grabbed.
- The Trump 2016 Goat Rodeo Campaign was (ALLEGEDLY) using the Cyrillic alphabet, figuratively speaking. “We welcome the help.”
- The (ALLEGEDLY) economically insecure, white supremacists of Possum Hollar would not have cared less.
So, you know, maybe it would make a difference if the Left didn’t feel that Clinton had it in the bag?