The Second Civil War Is Much Exaggerated (Happy Independence Day)

I hear that we are declaring a new Civil War today. Bring napkins and potato salad! Man the barbecues, people! Don’t flip the steak until you see the stripes of the char!

Last weekend, at the meeting of my book club at a local brewery (the drinking club that reads is probably more accurate) the subject of American Independence Day was brought up, as it so often is. Anyway, a more-or-less garden variety Millennial Libertarian from Texas professed his love of the Constitution to me, which of course set off my inner High School Civics Award Winner.

Dear Reader: I may have become pedantic. Shocking, I know.

You see, The Constitution, while brilliant, is little more than the User Manual for operating the government. It is hardly inspirational, it would be like loving the manual that came with your car, Hoyle Card Game Rules, or The Marquess of Queensberry Rules. It’s how shit get’s done. School House Rock stuff.

The garden variety Millennial Libertarian looked agape, and proceeded to say that he meant the Declaration of Independence. He was shocked when I told him that as aspirational as it is (and it is very aspirational!), the Declaration has no weight of law, and is essentially the original Festivus Airing of Grievances about the (then) King of England.

Then said Millennial got to The Bill of Rights, and we found common ground there. We agreed that the Bill set limits on what the Government can do. We talked more generally about the Amendments and I noted that Prohibition set limits on what a person could do, and amongst many societal and economic reasons, that was why it failed. I suggested to him that amending the Constitution to ban abortion would similarly fail, as would taking away the rights for the ‘mos to marry as so many Theocrats have demanded.

I think he agreed.

What we need to do is to Amend the Constitution to explicitly safeguard Choice and to let people who love each other marry, and yeah, ratify the long-stalled Equal Rights Amendment, too. Always be expanding our rights, it’s the American Way.

So as we enter another Independence Day celebration, with another Tyrant running roughshod over us (and uncannily many of our complaints about Prznint Trump are the same complaints The Founders had with King George III, check the Declaration), have faith in our foundational documents. The Constitution continues to operate (though the operators appear to be compromised and certainly negligent) and The Bill of Rights has not been repealed. We will make it through our current struggles and maybe come out stronger (and yeah, battered and bruised). We have so much working for us, it would be a shame to give up without a fight.

This entry was posted in holidays, Independence Day. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Second Civil War Is Much Exaggerated (Happy Independence Day)

1. osirisopto says:

Being the whigged-out leftist radical I am, I’m bringing peach pie, and plum tarts.

This year it’s GF, Vegan Florentine spaghetti rather than burgers. (Veg burgers don’t grill work a damn, anyhow.)

2. Sirius Lunacy says:

Being a real ‘Murican Patriot I am working today. I’m just that dedicated to making ‘Murica great again. Also, they pay me extremely well to be here on a veeerrryy slow day.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

But… Fox News is telling me that us lefties are being very UNCIVIL these days.

• roket says:

In a segment I was forced to watch at a local restaurant yesterday, I witnessed a segment on FAUX about restaurants no longer supplying plastic straws with their drinks which is evidently sweeping the nation. If you want a straw, you actually have to ASK for one. Oh, the horror. The segment lasted at least 10 minutes.

• Karla says:

I can’t get over what little snowflakes they are. Such projection.

• AuroraS says:

You can usually get through to them if you say something along the lines of, “You don’t have to care about Galapagos turtles. Do you like fishing? (The answer is probably yes) Well you’re not going to be able to fish if the fish are all dead because they choked to death on all those plastic straws littering the (local river or lake where locals do a lot of fishing)”.

• Jim says:

Since I never watch Faux Snooze, I can’t be sure but I’ll bet they never said why some restaurants are not automatically supplying the non-biodegradable straws and the impact that they have on the environment. Of course not. It’s all about libtard oppression.

4. Mark E. Bye says:

See #secondcivilwarletters for updates on the various battles and skirmishes.

5. moeman says:

Because I know the majority of my American neighbours and all Scissorheads don’t consider Canada to be an enemy, here’s wishing you all a Happy 4th and many happier ones to come.

6. There is nothing “brilliant” about the 1787 Constitution. It was drafted by a parcel of ill-intentioned lightweights who could not write literate English. It has since been abrogated, as each of its core provisions has been seen to be violated without consequence. It exists today only as a totem and a shibboleth.

• Karla says:

Frank, I saw a comment earlier saying something like ‘worshiping the constitution is like worshiping your car’s owners’ manual. It’s just the instructions.”

• Jim says:

It’s your car’s instruction manual if you happen to own the original Duryea brothers horseless buggy. The original Constitution is hopelessly outdated and severely anti-democratic. But, as long as we have a GOP, it also cannot ever be re-written.

7. another kiwi says:

Phew, if Alexis Jones had not spilled the beans the Civil War would be on like a very on thing. The fact that nothing happened is proof that he was right.

8. Weird Dave says:

The part I like the most:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I truly wish more of my leaders would take that “in Order to form a more perfect Union” part a little more to heart.

The part I don’t like:

1787: No federal voting standard—states decide who can vote Because there
    is no agreement on a national standard for voting rights, states are given the power to
    regulate their own voting laws. In most cases, voting remains in the hands of white male landowners.

Yes, this was not explicit in the Constitution but still…