Activism: SCOTUS Appointment: Breathe In, Breathe Out

platos republicYour worst fears about the SCOTUS appointment are unlikely to be realized.

Today we grieve our loss. Tomorrow we fight our battles.

Regain your perspective.

¡Hasta Mañana, Amigos!

O-

This entry was posted in 4th Reich, Activism. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Activism: SCOTUS Appointment: Breathe In, Breathe Out

1. TheMatch says:

I called Murray and Cantwell yesterday and said allowing any vote on any trump nominee ever is traitorous.
    I plan on repeating that statement to them everyday.
    Spineless worms.

• Osirisopto says:

Right idea. Wrong language.

I’d suggest you tone it down and speak rationally, or they will disregard you as a whack job.

• 9thousandfeet says:

Yeah, let’s tone it down.

Jesus Christ, if the suffragette movement had embraced that sentiment, Nancy fucking Pelosi would still be waiting for the right to vote.

We’re dealing with people who regard civility and politeness and decorum and a cooperative spirit as weaknesses.

If we tone it down, we will be ignored, if we step it up, we will be demonized, but at least we will be engaged.

The Vichy wing of the Dem party disagrees, apparently, but fuck them.

• osirisopto says:

No 9K I disagree. Persuasive messaging does not rely on hyperbole. It relies upon logical argument to be effective.

Please note the difference between MLK’s “I have a dream” speech on the Washington mall and crazy sign guy screaming racial epithets on the street corner.

Which message would you expect to be more effective? The one people pay listen to because of the dignity of the messenger, strength and validity of the arguments as well as the calm rational presentation of the ideas, or the one spouted by the guy who you can’t get away from fast enough?

Inflammatory language will achieve nothing more than scaring the intern who answered the phone.

Seriously, man. Think it through.

• 9thousandfeet says:

I hear you O, thought perhaps you think I do not.

I agree that among rational people of goodwill, “persuasive messaging” does indeed depend upon logical argument.
        But the question of what persuasive messaging does or does not involve in our current context is pretty much moot, don’t you think?
        Not a single one of the active perpetrators of this coup, and nary a one of the ordinary people who have been bamboozled into supporting Trump, are reachable by logical argument at this point.

To my eye this is now so glaringly obvious that it’s my starting point for “thinking things through”. There was a time when we hoped this was not so. I know I harbored that hope for a while. But I’ll argue now that it’s irrational to continue to harbor that hope, There is simply no evidence to support it.

As for radical confrontation as strategy, can you name one significant defeat suffered by authoritarians, or bigots, or zealots in the entire history of human affairs that was brought about without radical and loud and boisterous confrontation? (And as an aside here, this is not the same as any “crazy sign guy screaming racial epithets”, and it’s discouraging to me that you would attempt to advance such an absurd equivalence.)

So yeah. Name one.
        Civil Rights?
        Women’s Suffrage?
        Union Organizing?

I can’t think of any. Can you?

• osirisopto says:

I don’t want to argue with you, 9K.

It seems that your reality is black and white defined by outside forces, where mine is shades of grey that I define and manipulate.

Movements that got results through peaceful means?
        1. India’s independence Movement led by Mahatma Ghandi – “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

I get the impression you have no interest in working on a solution only on making demands.

I have work to do.

• 9thousandfeet says:

I’m not arguing, I doing what you’re recommending, which is engage in a discussion in civil and coherent language made with reference to verifiable historical facts.

Quoting Gandhi’s words without reference to the millions of people who put themselves, radically and confrontationally, on the firing line so the British Army could use them for target practice or methodically and systematically beat them with sticks doesn’t really support your narrative.
        Gandhi abhorred violence, and vigorously opposed starting it, as did MLK. But neither were either of them under the illusion that their goals could ever be met without there being any, and in my view that is pretty much where we are now.

You may not agree, that does not make us adversaries.

But you’ve defaulted to describing my worldview as lacking nuance and declaring that I’m only interested in making demands, and then blowing off any further exploration of these issues by declaring yourself busy with work. Who isn’t nowadays?

That’s all fine with me, so by all means let’s drop it.

But India’s independence from the British didn’t come about without extremely radical confrontation and many tragic deaths. Neither did Suffrage, Voting Rights, Union Rights, Gay Rights, Child Labor Laws and you name it.
        That is just a matter of the historical record.

Again, we’re dealing with people who have no respect at all for the qualities of deportment that you’re advocating. Indeed, they interpret such qualities, even generosity of spirit, as weaknesses to be exploited.

Match –

Thank you for calling our Senators! That is exactly what we need everyone to do.

When I called Murray and Cantwell, I asked them to enforce the McConnell Rule. I think the point was made, too/also.

• ming says:

Damn right.Time to fight for a fucking change or they need to go.. Merrick goddamn Garland.

2. RWW says:

There is no McConnell Rule. With Republicans it’s always “heads we win, tails you lose” no matter what coin you use to toss. McConnell called his Merrick Garland move the “Biden Rule” for a reason when he deployed it against Obama. We’d be foolish to shackle ourselves to nonsense like this that will only be used against us and will never work in our favor. We need to get real power and real votes and real majorities and stop relying on hopes of making Republicans act like decent human beings. They have power and they use it and move the goalposts at will. That’s the only lesson to be learned.