Breaking: We’re Totally Eff’ed in the Dark UPDATED

SCOTUS Justice Kennedy is retiring.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, the Supreme Court centrist who for a generation has cast the deciding vote in the biggest cases, plans to retire, giving President Trump a chance to shift the court sharply to the right.

Kennedy’s decision to step down, announced Wednesday, offers conservatives the opportunity they have long sought to lock in a reliable five-member conservative majority on the high court. And for them, it comes at an ideal time, since Republicans control the Senate and have voted in unison to confirm Trump’s conservative court nominees.

With five solid conservatives, the justices could repeal the right to abortion, expand protections for gun owners, narrow gay rights and strengthen the president’s power to arrest and deport immigrants who are here illegally.

As we noted yesterday, the courts are not going to save us.

PS – I used the Activism tab up at the top of the blog and have contacted my two senators already and told them that I will have their backs when they stand up to Trump and Mitch McConnell. I urge you to do the same.

PPS – This fuckery ends at the ballot box. Check your voter registration, and if anything is amiss fix it NOW. Even if you are in the bluest of blue states, the Russians are more likely to fuck with us there than at our admittedly easy to hack voting machines. If you cannot vote, then the Russians (and Trump) don’t have to fake the numbers.

PPPS – I’ve also checked with my county’s Registrar of Voters to confirm that my registration details are valid and that I am confirmed as registered to vote.

This entry was posted in supreme court, Things that will kill us all. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Breaking: We’re Totally Eff’ed in the Dark UPDATED

1. donnah says:

My first thought, good-bye Roe v Wade. Kennedy may have been a Conservative judge and he did enough damage during his term, but Trump will nominate someone extremely far to the Right, McConnell already fixed the votes, and we have no way of fighting back.

We are taking giant leaps backward. I mourned the loss of union rights and the new travel bans, but this is going to affect our democracy for years to come. It’s devastating.

2. Karla says:

We are eff’ed — not just in the dark. This is awful.

Shouldn’t they wait until after the midterms to see who wins back the majority? This would make sense to a conservative if the table were turned.

4. laura says:

Sure, Roe’s bound to be teed up, but so’s minimum wage laws.
    Time to dust off my old copy of “The Jungle” and “It can’t happen here.”
    I’ll have plenty of time for reading now that the Supremes just fucked my career as a Union Business Agent.
    Bonus fun fact -Anthony Kennedy taught at my Law School.

5. RedDirtGirl says:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

6. YellowDog says:

It’ll be with the lights on, because liberal tears make conservatives happy.

7. Ali Redford says:

It’s probably not going to help very much, but: each 5-4 vote that is bad has been because of Justice Kennedy. Justice Kennedy also brought us the decision in Bush v. Gore. I don’t want any of the incompetents that Trump is likely to nominate, but really, the justice vote that screwed us was the one that let on Gorsuch. If any of us has responsive US legislators, this is the time to insist that the justice vote await the November election, and the seating of the new legislators. Mine won’t do it though I will certainly insist that they do. But those of us with legislators who do their jobs, pleasepleaseplease start now to get them to do their level best to delay the vote, which McConnell is projecting to be in early Fall. Thanks!

8. Redhand says:

My reading material includes this, courtesy of listening to Sam Sedar’s “The Majority Report” earlier this week–American Nightmare: Facing the Challenge of Fascism by Henry A. Giroux.

The ballot box is all we have left, but with gerrymandering, and foreign “oligarch” (mob) monmey from you know where I increasingly feel that the game is rigged. If we don’t take one of the Houses this Fall we are well and truly fucked.

• donnah says:

Just watching the national news is even more depressing than I first thought: the possiblility of overturning Roe v Wade has electrified the Right Wingers. They are already drumming up their followers to turn out to vote in November. If we hoped to see a reduced turnout over Trump’s overall popularity, that is probably not going to happen. They have tasted power and see a big win.

Things just got harder.

9. osirisopto says:

Wow! maybe now Donnie tiny hand trump can finally get down Ivanka’s pants.

10. Osirisopto says:

Will he nominate Brian Kilmer’s, Ted Nugent, Ivanka or David duke?

Next time on The Apprentice : Presidential Season 3

11. donnah says:

My money’s on William Pryor, Jr, who called Roe v Wade “the worst abomination of constituional law in our history” and is a strong and vocal critic of gay rights. Sounds like a real sweetheart, and right up Trump’s alley.

• osirisopto says:

Is he on Faux Spews in the morning?

If he’s on during nap time he has no hope.

Donnah – Imma go with Judge Jeanine, or the other judge dude on Fox. This could be Comrade Stupid’s Harriet Miers moment. There’s always the possibility that he chooses Mikhail Cohen or Always Wrong Rudy; remember, he wanted Doctor Ronnie to lead the VA.