The Morning Quote

“[Kim] speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”

Well, Comrade Stupid understands the first syllable of dictator.

This entry was posted in Comrade Preznint Stupid, The Russian Usurper. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Morning Quote

1. 9thousandfeet says:

One day, perhaps, and let’s hope it happens before it’s not too late, all these blogs engaged in the (alleged) resistance to Trump’s assault on out political and legal architecture will suddenly realize that all this time spent referring to him as “stupid” and “incompetent” has in fact been enabling him.
    How?
    By instilling a false sense of security in the hearts and minds of people of goodwill everywhere, that is to say encouraging people to have confidence that the separation of powers “checks and balances” will kick in to save us, or that Mueller will, or that the mid-terms will, or that Harry fucking Potter’s magic wand will.

They won’t.

Trump has found a fatal vulnerability in the system and he’s gradually anesthetizing us all into acquiescence and compliance. Continually snarking at him as stupid and inept is playing right into his hands.
    He knows exactly what the fuck he’s doing, and he’s winning too. He’s at the point now where there is no longer any attempts to even disguise his fucking agenda.
    He’s already told us, ages ago, that he feels no obligation to abide by election results if he “suspects” there’s something “wrong” with them.
    He’s already told us he likes the idea of “president for life”.
    He’s openly praising dictators for their “toughness” and not a fucking single media personality has yet thought to illuminate any distinction between “toughness” and “cruel vindictiveness”.

Now he, and more and more of his functionaries, are suggesting, strongly, that even public criticism of him is somehow improper and will, or should, reap unpleasant retribution.

When the fuck are we going to start believing him? FFS, he’s telegraphing his punches so brazenly it’s actually stunning us all into confused disbelief.

Please stop helping by promoting the narrative that he’s stupid. The implications of that narrative are that his stupidity and ineptitude will, must, lead eventually to him being brought down before he utterly destroys everything that’s good about this republic.
    That’s not a given, not by a long shot.
    He’s not stupid.
    He’s cunning and relentless and media savvy and vicious, and he’s got the GOP and no small portion of the power and privileged class in his fucking pocket.
    Right now he’s in a more powerful position than Hitler or Mussolini were in the early going of their ascents, and not just by a little bit.

Please please please quit calling him stupid. I’m begging now.
    He aint’.
    We are, for waiting to be saved by forces and institutions which are increasingly and systemically being incrementally kneecapped.

9K –

I respectfully disagree with your admonition to not call him stupid. He is stupid, as in he knows nothing. But I do agree, he’s cunning, and clever in a sense, and has an instinct that seems to be very well tuned to his base. He’s as principled as a rat in a drain, tho, and he will sell them out every time. He will also sell out everyone not named Donald J. Trump, including Ivanka. Bank on it.

I understand your warning, however, which is well-placed. Your brief reminds me very much of Hunter S. Thompson’s thesis in Hell’s Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs:

What made that outcome almost certain, Thompson thought, was the obliviousness of Berkeley, California, types who, from the safety of their cocktail parties, imagined that they understood and represented the downtrodden. The Berkeley types, Thompson thought, were not going to realize how presumptuous they had been until the downtrodden broke into one of those cocktail parties and embarked on a campaign of rape, pillage, and slaughter. For Thompson, the Angels weren’t important because they heralded a new movement of cultural hedonism, but because they were the advance guard for a new kind of right-wing politics. As Thompson presciently wrote in the Nation piece he later expanded on in Hell’s Angels, that kind of politics is “nearly impossible to deal with” using reason or empathy or awareness-raising or any of the other favorite tools of the left.

Hell’s Angels concludes when the Angels ally with the John Birch Society and write to President Lyndon Johnson to offer their services to fight communism, much to the befuddlement of the anti-Vietnam elites who assumed the Angels were on the side of “counterculture.” The Angels and their retaliatory militarism were, Thompson warned, the harbingers of a darker time to come. That time has arrived.

As a Berkeley liberal now living in the PacNW, which is another blue island in a red sea, it is a good warning to take to heart. And I thank you.

I’m not terribly concerned that this little blog is going to create a back draft with the Trumpeters; I honestly don’t think that they get out much beyond their Fox News/Breitbart/InfoWars gated community, and I think all of the Scissorheads are too smart and too cynical to succumb to rose-colored thinking; we know we are in a fight and we are out gunned and outmaneuvered. But I note with some grim satisfaction that we, at least here in MPS, we do go outside OUR gated community to see what they are saying (News That Will Drive You To Drink).

We don’t have a big Kos platform here, but we do have the best spitballers on the ‘net. We fight with the weapons we have.

PS – Sorry for the long delay, I wanted to collect my thoughts.

• 9thousandfeet says:

TG so far as I can see we’re differing only with a linguistic gremlin with the “stupid” thing.

I don’t think he’s stupid, but I do agree that he’s ignorant and intellectually lazy. As with all aspiring dictators, it’s his almost preternatural ability to stir and exploit the darker impulses of the human heart that’s the danger, and as we see daily now, there’s no short supply of truly dark impulses in the hearts and minds of many Americans. Or many Germans and French and British for that matter – this upsurge in white nationalism is bedeviling modernity quite widely now, and is not just an American phenomenon. That liberal democratic party politics has become corrupt and failed to deliver on it’s promises to ordinary people just has to be a determinant with this, so the Blairs and Merkels and Hollandes of this world are implicated no less than the Pelosis or Schumers or Clintons.

We know that a fascists doesn’t need a majority to prevail, because history has told us that loud and clear. For crissakes let’s keep our eye on that ball.

I just spent a week up in your part of the world, btw, over in Bremerton. Had a good time visiting relatives, but it’s good to be back where I can step outside my door and piss up against any available tree. I’m a country mouse to the bone, I guess. The noise and traffic started getting to me after about 3 days.
        🙂

All the best

2. ming says:

9K, I share your concerns but the orange bunglecunt couldn’t do anything if not enabled by the GOP controlled congress and Dims that are not standing up to this shit. He’s the symptom, congress is the disease. And don’t even get me started on Russia and the congressional treason weasels that are running interference. This is not happening in a vacuum. There’s no doubt that Tangerine Idi Amin, is a dishonest, conniving piece of shit conman that will tell any lie to benefit himself, but stable genius, hardly. He has a lifetime record of being a self-promoting grifty dumbass. The problem is that as long as he’s delivering the goods for the fundies, financial raiders, gun nuts, and corporate polluters, they will protect him. His gig is that he wreaks shit and profits off the disaster. I’m going with Penn Gillette on this one.

• ming says:

I forgot to include the fucking racists in the list of scumbags protecting his bloated orange ass. And yes I woke up pissed off at this shit this morning. I promise to try to reduce my swearing for the rest of the day.

• 9thousandfeet says:

Didn’t mean to imply I thought you gave me the downvote, ming, ‘cos I didn’t think that for a minute.
        But someone did.
        I haven’t had one of those since I was shitcanned over at Little Green Footballs years ago for quoting Jim Hightower about how the only thing in the middle of the road is a yellow line and dead armadillos.
        🙂

9K – WordPress doesn’t give me a way to see who did the deed (and honestly I wouldn’t fink on anyone, even if it did let me know).

That said, it wasn’t me. I give upvotes pretty liberally, but I don’t do the down vote. And as I have noted plenty of times, you and I agree so often I wonder sometimes how you got in my head.

• FelineMama says:

Ming, let me do some swearing for you.
        FUCK YOU you vomitus,, moronic imbecile. Go to Hell.

• ming says:

Getting shit canned from Little Green Fascists is a badge of honor. The fucker doxxed me once because he did not like my comment.

And thanks for picking up the slack for me Feline Mamma. It’s a damn good thing that I only promised to try to reduce my swearing. So far it is not going well.

• 9thousandfeet says:

Ming, I agree completely that none of this is happening in a vacuum. Trump would be nowhere without a Congress that has utterly abdicated its obligations.
      They have decided that they’ll ride with Trump’s outrages so long as it helps enact all their Ayn Randian and theocratic wet dreams, so in that sense they’re playing him.
      But Trump has the GOP in a headlock too, by hypnotizing 80%+ of “likely Republican voters”, so in another sense they’re his captives.

On the other hand, Trump knows all this, which is why he so carefully feeds and waters that 80%, so in that sense it’s Trump who’s playing the GOP.

It’s a very dangerous symbiosis that is now starting to act like a positive feedback loop – each iteration of outrageous behavior becomes a new “normal”, as outrage fatigue really starts kicking in.
      We’ve got the camps now, as TG discusses elsewhere. We’ve had the threats of ignoring “suspicious” election results. We’ve had the administration cozying up to autocrats and dictators all over the place. We’ve watched as the various players lie through their teeth day upon day. We’re now getting demands for loyalty and obedience.
      Against this backdrop, people of goodwill, for the most part, are just waiting for, and relying upon either Mueller or the mid-terms, or both.

Trump knows this is what’s happening too, of course, as do the GOP establishment. There can be no question that neither Trump nor the GOP will abandon this coup, and it is a fucking coup, without trying to kneecap Mueller and subvert—or even deploy bogus emergency declarations to nullify—any uncongenial election results.
      They have nowhere else to go.

And seriously, a downvote?
      My first. I struck a nerve, obviously, so I’m bursting with pride.
      😉

• osirisopto says:

“There’s no doubt that Tangerine Idi Amin, is a dishonest, conniving piece of shit conman that will tell any lie to benefit himself”

So, a typical Republican politician.

The problem isn’t the politicians or even 45, though he and his cronies are definitely a boatload of problems.

The problem is there’s just a large enough portion of the electorate who think lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering and torturing is the right, just and morally correct way to go. Y’know – brownshirts.

There are two ways to solve the problem, get normally mentally healthy and well educated people to vote consistently, or violent uprising. Guess which one the brownshirts think would be cool?

I call him stupid because it pisses off his supporters.

4. Paul Fredine says:

but he defended his comment by saying he was just making a funny and only referring to his staff. diddin he? so now he thinks a press conference is just another open mike at the white house comedy club. i’d say chuckles should keep his day job but i so wouldn’t mean it.