Let’s Conjecture!

Seething Rage.
(image courtesy Scissorhead MonkeyFister)

According to witnesses, the FBI agents were looking for info about the payoff of Stormy Daniels and evidence of any other payoffs or shady deals that Cohen may have made on Comrade Stupid’s behalf.

Shocking, I know.

Communications between lawyers and clients are protected by attorney-client privilege. The exception is if there is evidence of a conspiracy between counsel and client to commit a crime.

The evidence was strong enough to get a federal judge to agree to a warrant. And the warrant was (according to witnesses) based on the Stormy Daniels situation.

Some sources report that the agents were also looking for evidence concerning possible bank fraud and wire fraud.

Here’s a paragraph you don’t get to read every day:

“The searches open a new front for the Justice Department in its scrutiny of Mr. Trump and his associates: His longtime lawyer is being investigated in Manhattan; his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is facing scrutiny by prosecutors in Brooklyn; his former campaign chairman is under indictment; his former national security adviser has pleaded guilty to lying; and a pair of former campaign aides are cooperating with Mr. Mueller. Mr. Mueller, meanwhile, wants to interview Mr. Trump about possible obstruction of justice.”

All I can say is that I wouldn’t want to be in Syria today.

UPDATE 1: The dog be wagging.

UPDATE 2: From the LATimes headelines newsletter:

Few people are as close to President Trump as his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, who has compared himself to fictional Hollywood fixer Ray Donovan. So when FBI agents seized computers, tax documents, emails and more from Cohen, it was bound to rile Trump. “It’s an attack on our country,” the president said. The raids were carried out by FBI agents working with the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan, headed by a Trump administration appointee, and said to be based on a referral by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. That prompted Trump to speak for the first time in public of possibly firing Mueller, including his customary threat: “We’ll see what happens.” The Washington Post reported that Cohen is under investigation for possible bank fraud, wire fraud and campaign finance violations.

This entry was posted in 4th Reich. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Let’s Conjecture!

Michael Cohen is in my thoughts and prayers. snickers

• Karla says:

Yeah. I think he’s going to sing. [I don’t pray, so I only have thoughts to give]

• Bruce388 says:

Would it be wrong to pray that Cohen winds up in prison along with his boss, his idiot sons, and his complicit daughter? If I prayed I’d go for broke. Hell, it might be a good time to start.

2. Sirius Lunacy says:

It would be irresponsible not to speculate.

3. Karla says:

Classic narcissist — a raid on his lawyer’s office etc. is an attack on the entire country!

4. What got me is how trump characterized this as ‘an attack on America’.

‘L’etat, c’est moi!’

5. Ellis Weiner says:

“The exception is if there is evidence of a conspiracy between counsel and client to commit a crime.”

I don’t think that’s right. The exception is if the client proposes or asks the lawyer about illegal actions. It’s the intent of the client that matters, not the active cooperation of both parties. If, e.g., the client asks the lawyer how to launder illegal money, privilege doesn’t apply, whether the lawyer tells him or not. Or so I read this morning.

6. YellowDog says:

Cohen thinks he’s Tom Hagen and Silvio Dante rolled into one. He is just another of the Fredo’s that surround 45*, including the sons Fredo, Jr. and the other Fredo.

BTW, Cohen got his JD from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, which was recently ranked as the worst law school in the country. That is the quality of attorney 45* attracts. Even Saul Goodman won’t return his calls.

7. Bruce388 says:

I would just like to point out Ray Donovan is good at his job.