Oops, Cont.

“oops.”

Most’ People on Facebook May Have Had Their Accounts Scraped

“It seems like an innocuous enough feature. Until Wednesday, anybody on Facebook could enter a phone number or email address and find the Facebook profile associated with it. Useful if you’re searching for “John Smith” or its global equivalents.

“But now imagine that someone has a list of email addresses or phone numbers that have been gathered outside of Facebook. With a simple script, that person could simply enter phone number after phone number and create a database of Facebook profiles, including whatever public information was available there.

“And it appears that this, indeed, happened. In an announcement on the company’s plans to restrict data access by outside companies, Facebook noted:

Malicious actors have also abused these features to scrape public profile information by submitting phone numbers or email addresses they already have through search and account recovery. Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we’ve seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way.

With over 1B 2.2B users*, what does most users actually mean? It means that the only person whose data was not scraped was Faceberg’s. You can bank on it. OK, and maybe some guy named Phil, who lives in a van down by the river and checks in from the library.

Here’s the bottom line: Faceberg is NOT going to change its business model, it doesn’t matter how many users data was stolen. Faceberg MIGHT give you more control over your data, but it is still going to sell you to advertisers.

Here’s a delicious way to end this post (emphasis mine):

“Slate’s Will Oremus asked whether the chief executive himself would have used apps like the one designed by Cambridge psychology professor Aleksandr Kogan, called “thisisyourdigitallife,” that siphoned the data of around 270,000 users and all of their friends, which Kogan then packaged and sold.

“The CEO’s answer was candid and will likely enter the pantheon of iconic Zuck quotes, which also include his original business card slogan (“I’m CEO, bitch”) and “move fast and break things.” “I certainly use a lot of apps; I’m a power user of the internet,” Zuckerberg responded.

*Updated to 2.2B Monthly users.

This entry was posted in Facebook or Faceberg, Social Media. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Oops, Cont.

1. ming says:

“I’m a power tool of the internet,” – fixed it for you there Zuck.
    Makes me happy that I’ve never been a Facebook user.

2. Not surprising. I bet that various governments will come up with a list of rules Facebook have to comply with but never enforce it because they’re complicit. Advertisers may benefit from the data, but I’m betting intelligence agencies benefit even more.

Super-Snark:

BINGO!

Faceberg is the tool that fascist surveillance states would design if they knew how.

• And now they don’t have to. They have Faceberg. Kinda dumb that they keep blocking it, since all they have to do is submit an app. It could be all nice and democracy-sounding , YourFriendlyGovApp, let us help you….

You think a stupid authoritarian like Hair Führer is bad, wait until one who’s smart gets in on the act…

3. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Zuck is a malicious actor.

4. 9thousandfeet says:

In a culture operated with even a flimsy relationship to justice and good sense, arrogant and predatory tossers like this odious little weasel belong in prison.
    And we’re moving further and further away from such cultural status by the day.

Still, teachers are now out in the streets, as are many of their students, which is certainly a start.
    Now if we can just get a few million more to spend this coming summer out there, we just might be in with a chance to actually continue this experiment with a constitutional democratic republic.
    And wouldn’t that be lovely?

5. Sirius Lunacy says:

I’m sure Faceberg is scrambling to fix this as fast as possible. It is a CRIME and absolutely shocking that outside companies were able to get that information FREE OF CHARGE! I’m sure Zuck will find a way to make them pay.

6. Ten Bears says:

From over at my house, several weeks ago, The Best Blog Comment Ever:

From over at Tengrain’s house:

“It’s a sinkhole for your personal information,” I said. They laughed.

“I value what little privacy I have left,” I said. They told me I was being silly.

“What harm could it do?” they asked. “All that stuff’s out there anyway.”

So to all the people who ridiculed me for avoiding Facebook:

Told you so!! Told you so!! Nyah, nyah, nyah!!