Idle Speculation and Silver Linings

The Pundit At Work

There isn’t much in the news this Super Sunday that is holding my attention that we have not already covered in our usual fashion, but I will note that my cold is retreating, and the morning-after effects of Nyquil chugging are not as dramatic as one might think.

Anyway, I will report that I had a stupid epiphany last night in my Nyquil fever, while regaling the Village idiot yutes on Twitter on the importance of Civics.

Anyway back to the list of succession to the preznintcy should the Russian Usurper be removed from office (Cthulhu willing):

1. Preznint Comrade
  2. Vice Preznint Pence (though with Pence the vice is purely the boring kind)
  3. Speaker of the House Zombie-Eyed Granny-Starver
  4. President pro tempore of the United States Senate Orrin Hatch

Now, you might be wondering where I found my joy in that list, and I don’t blame you. The only way that Comrade Stupid is yanked, barnacle-like, from the White House is if Congress and the Senate flip to the Dims in 2018, which means that ZEGS is no longer the Speaker. Also/too: Orrin is retiring, so he will no longer be #4. (But #4 continues to fall to a ghoul’s gallery of Republicans for as far as the eye can see: Thad Cochran, Chuck Grassley, amply be-chinned Mitch, Richard Shelby, Grandpa Walnuts, DiFi)

And again, so what, you say if the odious termite buffett gets installed, what does it matter?

I got bupkis. But I also wonder if Pence might be caught up in the collusion or obstruction net. I strangely would not be surprised if that was the case.

Of course, Wingnuttia uber alles would scream that it was a coup and take up arms if Nancy Pelosi suddenly became Preznint.

This entry was posted in 2018 Pie Fight, snark. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Idle Speculation and Silver Linings

1. w3ski4me says:

Nyquil or not I seem to understand. Who would/could we get? The choices are staggeringly pathetic. Then too, at least in my opinion, who could the Democrats come up with at this point? No one in current power, except for a few newbies like Kamala Harris, maybe.
    There isn’t anyone truly Presidential on any side right now. I take hope though in that President Obama wasn’t exactly a Barn Burner in the Senate, and it’s possible we have the “Person for the Time’ waiting for their chance, quietly, already.
    We have only hope, and Nyquil, in the meantime.
    But hey, you live in a ‘Progressive State’ too, there is more than Nyquil available.
    get well soon
    w3ski

That’s the problem with succession: you get whoever is next in line. Even in a 25th Amendment solution, you get whoever is next in line.

That’s why whoever is the NEXT speaker of the house becomes so important (if the Dims take the house/senate and itmfa), that speaker becomes third in line.

Pelosi, as the Minority Leader, is that person. And then, Houston. We gotta problem.Too many guns in the hands of too many unstable wingnuts.

2. Infidel753 says:

If a Democrat (Pelosi or other) becomes Speaker, the odds of enough Senate Republicans voting to convict Pence as well as Trump in an impeachment trial become substantially lower. And we’ll still need some Republicans to convict since the Senate majority to do that is two-thirds. It’s mathematically impossible for Democrats to reach a two-thirds majority in the Senate this year — there aren’t enough Republican-held seats up for election.

So even if we take the House, trading in Trump for Pence may be the best we can hope for.

Infidel,

I was talking (emailing, actually) with another Scissorhead earlier this week and made the same point: we don’t have the numbers if it comes to a party-line vote in the Senate (and I see nothing that indicates that any of the Republicans there would dare switch sides); unless there is a bonafide crime (like tax evasion not obstruction) and it is prosecuted in NY, for instance.

• Jim says:

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is literally any crime that Trump might have committed that would get more than a handful of crossover Republicans (basically, Collins, Murkowski and Graham). The Congressional GOP caucus is really that bad and utterly contemptuous of their voters and the Constitution. So, the overwhelming likelihood is that either Trump is forced to resign under extreme pressure from his own side, which I consider quite unlikely or the Democrats win both houses and just stop any Trump initiatives or court nominees. So, we go to 2020 and hope for a Democratic wave.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

1. Preznint Comrade
    1a. Comrade Preznit Putin
    2. Vice Preznint Pence (though with Pence the vice is purely the boring kind)
    3. Speaker of the House Zombie-Eyed Granny-Starver
    4. President pro tempore of the United States Senate Orrin Hatch

4. Sirius Lunacy says:

Idle musing:
    Somebody who has a blog that people actually read along with the time and energy should put together all the quotes from various Republican office holders, Fox News? and various influential right wing site that were put out during the last administration pertaining to Obama/Hillary being too soft on Putin. You know, just so we can compare and contrast with how they are dealing with the current administration on the subject.

5. kathywompus says:

If the Dims can’t flip the House this year, we are in much deeper trouble. The key is removing Pence first, then do a “Garland” on the replacement nominee.

Nyquil never did a thing for me. I found Robitussin does the trick. Zicam too if you do it early enough 🙂