Now The Fourth Reich is Normalizing Nuclear Strikes

This is such bullshit.

False alarms like this are just meant to numb us. And also, too: what do citizens do with this information? Duck & Cover? I’m not old enough to remember those drills, but my sister Eightgrain is. She told me long ago that all the kids at school thought it as a load of crap back then, too, but went along with it because they were kids.

I thought we already worked through this from the McCarthy Era: there is no surviving a nuclear attack. This is an exercise in normalizing the unthinkable.

This entry was posted in 4th Reich. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Now The Fourth Reich is Normalizing Nuclear Strikes

I’m old enough to remember those days. It also doesn’t help when your 3rd-grade teacher tells her class that we are #1 on the Commie Pinko Fags target list because of the uranium processing AND enrichment facilities nearby. But yes, we still hid under our desks anyway.

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

False missile alert? That sort of thing only happens in (wait for it) shithole countries.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

4. Osirisopto says:

Cheney had everyone pissing their pants over terrorist and now the Russian puppet may be trying to get people hiding under their bed.

Of course it could be that the Russian hackers just earned a bonus.

5. mellowjohn says:

6. Buttemilk Sky says:

Under the desk? That won’t work. They made us go out in the hallway (no windows) so we would be safe from the nuclear holocaust. That’s using your head!

7. Ali Redford says:

We went under the desk for atomic bomb drills, and out in the hallway for tornado drills. We went into the hallway for tornadoes because of the lack of windows, and putting more distance between us and the storm, much as is advised these days. I cannot explain the under-the-desk thing, except that was what had been done since the kids ten or more years before us, and it’s what we did.

We had earthquake drills in California, which was essentially under the desk and facing away from windows for much the same reasons… except coming from an old California family (before it was a state, there we were!), we knew to go stand in well-framed doorways. Made my teachers nuts when the Grains would bolt for a closet door or the door to the classroom. Usually they were there too.

Bastards.

8. skinnydennis says:

Civil defense worker pushed the wrong button. Maybe they need a “Are You Sure?” button too.

9. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

My 8th grade homeroom teacher was a cynical old cuss (he taught my youngest uncle, so as soon as he saw my last name he groaned- another _______?). He mentioned the whole ‘duck and cover’ thing and joked, “The only thing to really do is to bend over so far you can kiss your ass goodbye!”

He also made us memorize the maps of South America and Africa, countries and capitals, so I am eternally grateful to him on bar trivia nights. Also, I shocked the hell out of a guy I met from Burkina Faso by asking him if he was from Ougadougou.

10. Ivory Bill Woodpecker says:

To the Purity Ponies:

• Ivory Bill Woodpecker says:

One of the reasons Donnie Dipshit “won” in 2016 was the gutting of the Voting Rights Act by the Supreme Joke in 2013, enabling the Russian Republican voter suppression efforts.

If Obama had been compelled to run under those conditions in 2008, we’d be talking about the impending demise of former President McCain.

Some of the “Justices” who made that foul decision were appointed by Dubya Bush, who would not have “won” in 2000 without the Purity Ponies of 2000.

So no Prez Dubya, no Prez Trump.

So, once again, thanks, Ralph and the Purity Ponies. 😡