Ah, Texas!

Crazee States

The U.S. Lab for Bad Policy

ABC reports the new laws and so whatnot in Texas, and they included this:

Handgun license fees lowered
Concealed firearms owners in Texas will enjoy having the lowest license fees in the U.S. come September. Lawmakers passed an amendment that will change the license fee for new users from $140 to $40. Renewals drop from $70 to $40.

Open-carrying swords and machetes
Blades more than 5.5 inches in length are being permitted for open-carry in public places. The law, though, prohibits swords and machetes in most bars, schools, colleges, sporting events, polling places, race parks, correctional facilities, hospitals, amusement parks and places of worship.

I think they heard the expression bringing a knife to a gun fight and thought it was a literal problem. Also/too: no one in Texas has a 5.5 inch blade, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

This entry was posted in Crazeee States, Texas. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Ah, Texas!

1. Condi says:

The producers of the upcoming “Mad Max: The Wasteland” are purported to have already developed the final script in the series. The working title? “Mad Max: Texas Rejects.”

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I dunno, I think that sword ruling is great. Texas is going to look like a Kurosawa film, just with more adipose tissue.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

The law, though, prohibits swords and machetes in MOST bars, schools, colleges, sporting events, polling places, race parks, correctional facilities, hospitals, amusement parks and places of worship.

I’d be interested to see just what the exceptions are here. I mean, obviously the exception for polling places would be that you can take your swords and machetes if it is a polling place where predominantly Democrats vote, but which sporting events can I take my machete to? And really, how amusing can an amusement park be if I can’t bring along my claymore?

I can hardly wait for the first Texan to pull out the ol’ scimitar to see if the melon is ripe at Whole Foods, the pride of Texas.

You know it’s coming.

4. Feline Mama says:

It still a tied race to see who will make it first to the top rung of the crazy ladder. Texass or Floriduh. Very close race.

5. paul fredine says:

it’s only logical they lower the registration fee. now a kid doesn’t have to worry about asking his/her parents for a raise in their allowance and the sale of piggy banks will soar statewide as the sound of them shattering will echo across the land.