Another Win for MPS!!1!

Building a Better Vocabulary

Presses enter, then spots the typo!

Detroit News reports that the 43rd annual List of Words Banished from the Queen’s English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness is out.

The list and description:

• Unpack – Misused word for analyze, consider, assess. Concepts or positions are not packed, so they don’t need to be unpacked.
  • Tons – Refers to an exaggerated quantity, as in tons of sunshine or tons of work. “Lots” would surely suffice.
  • Dish – As in to dish out the latest rumor on someone. Let’s go back to ‘talks about’ and leave dishes in the cupboard.
  • Pre-owned – What is so disgraceful about owning a used car now and then?
  • Onboarding/Offboarding – Creature from the HR Lagoon. We used to have hiring, training and orientation. Now we need to have an “onboarding” process. Firings, quitting, and retirements are streamlined into “offboarding.”
  • Nothingburger – Says nothing that ‘nothing’ doesn’t already. I’ll take a quarter-pound of something in mine.
  • Let that sink in – One could say shocking, profound, or important. Let that sink in.
  • Let me ask you this – Wholly unnecessary statement. Just ask the question already.
  • Impactful – A frivolous word groping for something ‘effective’ or ‘influential.’
  • Covfefe – An impulsive typo, born into a 140-character universe, somehow missed by the autocorrect feature.
  • Drill down – Instead of expanding on a statement, we “drill down on it.”
  • Fake news – Once upon a time stories could be empirically disproved. Now ‘fake news’ is any story you disagree with.
  • Hot water heater – Hot water does not need to be heated. ‘Water heater’ or ‘hot water maker’ will keep us out of hot water.
  • Gig economy – Gigs are for musicians and stand-up comedians. Now expanded to imply a sense of freedom and a lifestyle that rejects tradition in a changing economic culture. Runs a risk of sharecropping.

I have checked, and pleased to report that MPS has never used the phrase Hot Water Heater until this very moment, so we are still clearly ahead of the pack!!! Another win for the Internet’s Band of Incorrigible Spitballers!

This entry was posted in blogging. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Another Win for MPS!!1!

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I think ‘woke’ as an adjective and ‘feels’ as a noun need to be retired. Also, get off my lawn!!!

2. Infidel753 says:

“Drill down” originated in the world of computer accounting software, where it has a much more specific meaning. Apparently it’s seeped into general usage with a commonplace meaning for which perfectly good words already existed.

What I’d really love to see retired is the use of military-sounding terminology to make boring things sound dramatic, like when people say “lock and load” when they’re talking about making some stupid business deal.

One of the Marketing Managers I used to work with (blog help us all!), used to say, “Let’s double-click on that.”

I felt my soul shrivel each time. I would have killed for “Drill Down” or “Unpack.”

• Retiredeng says:

Even after a 45 year career in software I still cringe when its jargon is used outside of the craft. And don’t get me started on the MBA crap. Industry is full of buzzword spouting know-nothing idiots.

Sadly, there was no reason for me to blame Comrade Preznint Stupid for my broken hot water heater or I would have mentioned it already. Damn the bad luck.

4. AuroraS says:

How the fuck are “epic” and “jaw-dropping” not on this list?!

• AuroraS says:

And “artisanal”, for that matter. “All-natural” has also run its goddamn course.

• Sirius Lunacy says:

You have obviously never tried one of my epic, all-natural, artisanal nothinburgers! They are jaw-droppingly awesome, with TONS of flavor.They go great with a cup of covfefe. Now, just let that sink in.

5. Substituting “Impact” for “effect” or “affect” incorrectly.

6. Jim H. says:

Granular.

Also, Happy New Year, 10G!!