Here’s the broad thing to consider: Greater Wingnuttia controls all the branches of the government: the White House, both Houses of Congress, and nominally 5-4 Supreme Court (President Anthony Kennedy is grinning). And pretty much the Trump agenda is dead.
Zombie-eyed Granny-starver Paul Ryan predicted in January that by now he would have notches under his belt for:
- Obamacare repeal
- border wall
- tax reform
And speaking of tax reform, the three people who will be the most central to the entire freakin’ thing have gotten handed their asses on a platter this week (with a garnish of parsley and a frisson of crispy potatoes):
- OMB Director Mick Mulvaney was savaged by his former GOP colleagues in a closed door meeting yesterday.
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin was called a Democrat (“them’s fightin’ words!”) at the same meeting.
- the National Economic Council and chief economic advisor Gary Cohn is still on the outs with Preznint Stupid, who allegedly is considering You’re Fired’ing him. He will NOT become Janet Yellin’s replacement at The Fed. The house odds on that are too high to bet any Quatloos.
Hey, yesterday was Friday, so Apprentice-style you’re fired’ings are required for good ratings, amiright? From the past few weeks of rumors we know that Hair Führer was considering firing economic adviser Gary Cohn, AG Jefferson Beauregard ‘Stonewall’ Sessions, NSA Herbert McMaster, and Chief of Staff John Kelly!
So who was it!!1!
But don’t cry for Andy, he’s going back to work for Bannon, er Breitbart; maybe he presses the white sheets for the ol’ white nationalist.
You cannot fire me, I quit!
And speaking of You’re Fired, three MODERATE Republicans from swing states, representing districts that Crooked Hillary won, are retiring :
- Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA)
- Rep. Dave Reichert (R-WA)
- Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL)
The New Confederacy and Y’all Qaeda are fighting for their own Pure Blood Lines and The Blood of Christ (respectively), and the so-called RINOs are fleeing for the doors to avoid being caught in the crossfire.
Anyway, if my math is right, these three quitting brings the number of retiring wingnuts to, oh, 14 or so. This makes the Dims’ job of flipping the House easier. They need a net gain of 24 seats to take control, and it is harder to oust an incumbent.
Since WW II, when a president’s approval is below 50%—and Comrade Stupid is WAY below 40%—the president’s party has sustained an average loss of 36 seats in the House.