Summer Songs Sound Track

OK, this really bugged me: I don’t agree with the vast majority of their choices for Songs of the Summer: I mean, come’on! It’s like all the New Wave of the ’80, the punk of the ’70, Michael Jackson (!) never happened? The Disco Years never happened? Neither of the British Invasions happened? The Boy Bands of the ’00s? Grunge ’90s? Gimme a break!

So here’s your assignment Scissorheads: where’er you feel comfortable,  tell us what the Summer Song was where you were, and put a link to the video (if you can find it).

I’ll say that for sure that in 1980 Blondie’s Call Me was THE summer song in Los Angeles.

This entry was posted in music. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Summer Songs Sound Track

1. TheMatch says:

Well, probably wasn’t THE summer song of 1982, but it was my summer song of 1981. To Hell With Poverty, Gang of 4

2. Laura says:

Start with this one, I’ll be back with more . .

3. Laura says:

Mix – Dancing In the Moonlight:

4. Laura says:

am radio kicked it OUT back the day, along with an onion, that you tied onto your belt, as was the fashion, back in the day.

That is all.

5. M. Bouffant says:

Mr. Rocksteady:

“Have a drink, Have a drive …”

[Tengrain was here!]

6. Lsamsa says:

1966…The Lovin’ Spoonful…Summer in the City

• Bruce388 says:

Yep. That’s my pick. Riding around on South Jersey back roads with Debbie that summer, waiting for it to get dark. I went away to college, she dumped me before Thanksgiving. I found her a couple of years ago. We emailed for about a year, then she stopped emailing. Maybe I wrote something about Trump that offended her. It was still nice to get back in touch to show her how cool I am now. /endsarcasm

7. The song of the Summer; the year I graduated HS, 1976, was (for me at least) “Hotel California” Man we played that album nonstop. Of course it may have been less the music than we were free, and Mom&Dad gave me the keys to the ’54 Chevy convertible to ostensibly ‘look for a job’ 🙂

8. Mr DeBakey says:

In summer 1984 things stopped making sense:

9. Mr DeBakey says:

Meanwhile, back in 1979 Rickie Lee released a hot one:

10. Mr DeBakey says:

Summer of 1992 I discovered [way after many others had] I discovered Alejandro Escovedo:

11. Mary says:

I’m going to send you all to the way back machine — “Burning Bridges” Jack Scott 1959. I was 15.

12. Sirius Lunacy says:

First one I remember. I was eight, my big sister and her friends would play this all the time.

For my ninth summer they wore out the vinyl of her Disreli Gears album, but most often this song.

Summer after my freshman year in high school Frankenstein was popular, but I must have been in the wrong place

And the summer after high school I heard a ton of this song.

13. Osirisopto says:

Which summer? In which life?

This one has stuck with me. The video is also a text book case of missed opportunity.
    I listen with my eyes closed because it’s so freaking painful to watch.

14. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I remember Gary Numan’s ‘Cars’ being ubiquitous in the summer of ’79:

[Tengrain was here!]

15. Sirius Lunacy says:

Although this came out about a decade earlier, for my friends and I this was our summer of ’86 song.

16. Sirius Lunacy says:

And just for a bit of balance, here’s my 16/17 winter song.

17. grs says:

I love this thread! I saw this video and my first thought was, “How the hell is ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy’ not on the list? That song was played to death and on all radio stations! The t-shirts and merchandising! Everywhere!” So I started googling and that song came out with the movie Cocktail toward the end of July and then re-released in September. Can’t be a song of the summer if it didn’t come out until the end of summer.

That made me want to verify the releases of all these songs and look at their Billboard peaks. As TG noted – how is there no MJ??? Way too daunting for this guy at the moment. But this was a very cool and fun list. I really like the Scissorhead submissions!

I had one summer full of Iron Maiden and INXS – go figure – but I have no idea how that correlates to Billboard charting or actual release dates. Maybe I’ll take a look at that later.

I’ve been enjoying Scissorheads’ musical tastes for years, GRS, I love this thread too.

The original video in the post really made me *angry* — I’ve long accepted that one of the SotS from my jaded youth was from Wham!, and if I can accept that grim truth, whoever made this video should too.

18. Jim H. says:

An all-timer. C’mon, you know you’ve heard it. Driving with the windows down in the summer.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s