Yesterday, Steve Kornacki had a piece up on NBC News that tries to explain Trump’s poll numbers, and the bear joke suddenly became my barometer: Trump doesn’t have to be popular on anything, he just has to be more popular than the things his voters hate:
- More popular than Hillary
- More popular than Congress
- More popular than Republicans
- More popular than Democrats
- More popular than the Media
As Kornacki said, “If his poll numbers ended up being good enough back then, can we be sure they aren’t good enough now?” And that explains why he is not cratering now.
It’s a strange kinda of relativism, but I think it explains how we got here.