Bad Headlines, Cont.

bad headlines 1

I see that Scientists have met my old college roommate, but somehow I don’t think he’s still evolving.

(Hat tip: I swear I didn’t keep track of who sent this one in, so please ID yourself in the comments and I’ll update the post!)

This entry was posted in Bad Headlines. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bad Headlines, Cont.

1. E.A. Blair says:

A lot of people seem to still swallow the mistaken idea that evolution is a goal-oriented or predetermined process. It’s not. It’s a reactive adaptation to changing conditions. It cannot be accelerated (as in the Outer Limits episode The Sixth Finger. We are not the end products of evolution, we are an intermediate step from what we used to be to something nobody can foresee – or extinction.

I recently visited a park in which I spent nearly every day during my childhood years. It had an open, grassy area about 400 feet wide between a group of apartment buildings and untended woods. I haven’t been there for about twenty years, and the woods are now withing fifty feet of the apartment buildings – the grassy area is almost gone. I’m sure that if I had been living in those apartments during that time, I’d hardly have noticed the encroachment of the forest on a day to day basis.

Evolution is like that. It’s growth, not of individuals but of species, and it occurs in increments almost too small to notice. Humans of today are taller, heavier, reach puberty earlier and have a smaller appendix than our ancestors of even one or two thousand years ago. We are constantly evolving (that is growing as a species), and to say we are not is just downright silly, just as silly as it is to make a fuss over statements like this.

• Nancy North says:

Uhhh…but what about Brian?

• MDavis says:

Evolution is not just change. It is also a collection of possible traits, so-called junk DNA. If the environment changes, the species that has the right junk will find that junk being expressed and those offspring surviving to reproduce – still retaining the recently invalidated DNA in archive in case the environment changes to a state where that trait gives the species better options. You could even say that the ability to archive DNA traits was a genius evolutionary move, giving the species that do it more varied survival options.
      There are those moths, for example, that went from a speckly white to blend with birch bark to a speckly black to blend with soot. Soot got cleaned up, birch went back to being pale and the speckly white moths went back to surviving, long enough to reproduce, in greater numbers.

2. Karla says:

Like x 1 million.
    I get so frustrated when I hear someone talk about how this person or that dog is evolving.
    Any individual does not evolve. It might change, but it doesn’t evolve.

3. skinnydennis says:

Cheese and crackers, I read that headline about 6 times before I noticed something strange about it. Funny story, one of my brothers wrote an entire essay in 6th grade about his friend Brain, even got it wrong in the title. I never let him forget that.

4. jimbo57 says:

I have a good brian, I have the best brian….

5. Sirius Lunacy says:

6. tommyspoon says:

Look, let brian be brian, ok? He’s got enough pressure on him as it is; don’t make him evolve!
    I mean, grow a brian!

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s