Happy Hour News Briefs
Hey guys, remember yesterday we tried to cover Jefferson Beauregard ‘Stonewall’ Sessions III giving a secret speech to Alliance Defending Freedom, a SPLC-designated hate group? You know, from which the press was barred and of which was not even listed on their website? Yeah, them, Alliance Defending Freedom.
Anyway, we have some updates (sort of):
- The Daily Beast looked into it.
- Accuracy in Media (which is anything but), has a snit over CNN covering it.
- Right Wing Watch is now requesting a Freedom of Information release of the speech:
On July 11, 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions delivered a speech to the “Summit on Religious Liberty” hosted by the Alliance Defending Freedom (“ADF”), an organization that frequently engages in litigation involving the United States government on issues including LGBTQ equality, abortion rights, and the separation of church and state. The speech was closed to the press and a transcript or recording of the speech has not yet been released to the public. It is important for the public to know promptly what the Attorney General said behind closed doors to the ADF and what assurances he made to the group about how he would enforce the law as attorney general, especially given that the Attorney General has been tasked with developing guidance on interpreting religious liberty protections in federal law. As a recent CNN story explained, there is already significant concern that the Attorney General’s remarks to the ADF “are being kept hidden from the public.”
Accordingly, we request that a copy of the following documents be provided:
- A full transcript of Attorney General Sessions’ July 11, 2017, speech to the Alliance Defending Freedom’s “Summit on Religious Liberty.”
- Any audio or video recordings of the speech, including of any answers to questions or discussion after the speech, and any notes by any DOJ employee mentioning the speech or any such answers or discussion.
- All correspondence, e-mails, notes or logs of telephone calls, or any other records reflecting communications in 2017 between Attorney General Sessions or his representatives at the Department of Justice and any representative of ADF regarding the Attorney General’s participation in the “Summit on Religious Liberty” and other ADF events.
We’ll keep an eye on this story.