House Keeping Note

As Fran Lebowitz once said about sports, “Generally speaking, I look upon them as dangerous and tiring activities performed by people with whom I share nothing except the right to trial by jury.”

Boy, would she be surprised by me being selected to be on Jury Duty.

Anyway, it doesn’t start until next Monday. Sorry for the programming interruption.

The Management

This entry was posted in The Small Print. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to House Keeping Note

1. Nora Daly says:

This ought to be good!

2. Bruce388 says:

Hang ’em high, Ten. Unless it’s a pot-related bust.

3. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Let’s hope it’s a straightforward civil case, and you can wrap it up in a day.

4. Ali Redford says:

I used to bailiff jury trials, when I was judicial staff several years ago. In KS, that doesn’t let me channel Marsha Warfield on “Night Court,” but instead I sort of shepherded the jury procedurally, and generally guarded against tainting and whatnot. Anyway, though I’ve always believed it is a privilege and a duty to serve, now I so appreciate people who go ahead and serve. From what I’ve seen close up, we need jurors who serve in the fashion they hope their own jurors would; that makes our justice system work better. So, thank you!

• MDavis says:

What Ali said – Thank you.
      I was selected for a jury trial in King County once. The left us sitting in the waiting room for a few more hours, then they settled and sent us all home. Are you looking forward to the $10 per week jury pay?

I was raised by lawyers, and one of my grampas was a lawyer and a DA in California. We had it drilled into us at an early age that this is a civic responsibility.

This makes my third time being impanelled (I think that’s a real word?), but only one time before did one of the cases actually make it to trial. It was supposed to last 10 days, it lasted for 6 weeks.

The judge assured us that this would conclude by midweek. We’ll see.

5. Bob says:

Registered to vote on my 18th birthday, am today 59 and have never been called for jury duty.

6. Bruce388 says:

I was summoned for jury duty and made up to the box seats a couple of times. Then they started asking questions: Do I know any of the prosecutors, Do I know anyone on the police force, Have I or a member of my family been a victim of a crime, etc.

Back to the waiting room for moi.

One of the questions we were asked was if anyone had ever been pulled over by a cop. Everyone in the room (including both counsels, the judge, and the prosecutor) raised their hand.

It was such a great moment.

7. I’ve been called twice, selected twice, nominated for chair twice, and reached verdict twice. First was a statutory rape trial, by a stepfather (we hung the bastard) and the second was a parole violation that seemed like the cops railroading a guy, the evidence was thin. We had Reasonable Doubts.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s