RIP Roger Moore. You’ll Always Be My Bond. James Bond.

I was sorry to read that the world has one less Bond, as Sir Roger Moore has gone to save the next world. He was 89, and that’s extra innings in my book.

Moore’s Bond was the one I grew up with, and so I have a certain affection for his 7 movies. I know, I know, I know. But that’s my truth. My very first Martini I insisted on being shaken and not stirred. I learned to cock an eyebrow from Moore, and my fine art of the double-entendre: pure Moore’s Bond.

And as dated as his groovy ’70s threads are, when I get dressed up I really do ask myself if this outfit would have Moore’s approval. Pro tip gents: if you ever want to wear brown suits or camel hair coats, review his Bond movies, you will never go wrong.

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to RIP Roger Moore. You’ll Always Be My Bond. James Bond.

1. Karla says:

I’m older than you, so Sean Connery is still my Bond (and people used to say that my dad looked like him). But Roger Moore was so much better than any who followed. He was wonderful.

2. Sirius Lunacy says:

I started out watching The Saint as a kid. Then Moore became 007 about the same time I was old enough to go to movies of my own choosing. So, yeah. Moore is my Bond too. I even (barely) remember Beau Maverick.

3. E.A. Blair says:

“Pro tip gents: if you ever want to wear brown suits or camel hair coats, review his Bond movies, you will never go wrong. “

You mean like that clown suit he wore in Octopussy? I’m sorry, but Live and Let Die* was good Bond, and maybe The Spy Who Loved Me*, but Moore was the victim of screenwriters who turned Bond from a hero into a cartoon character. Bond requires the proper mix of panache and gravitas. Timothy Dalton brought back the gravitas, but it took Pierce Brosnan to bring back the panache.

Bond is a dual creation of the screenwriters who script him and the actors who portray him. Ironically, Roger Lazenby, often considered the worst Bond, happened to carry the torch in one of the best-written of the movies. Moore could have been much greater of a Bond, but he suffered from bad scripts (and, personally, I think he was better as Simon Templar and Beau Maverick).

Having said that, let the blistering recriminations begin.

*Those are the only Moore Bond movies I routinely re-watch.

No blistering recriminations from me. He’s just the Bond I grew up with. I think that Dalton was the Bond who came the closest to the Fleming books; he always seemed right on the edge of being nuts. If I had to choose, that is.

4. HarpoSnarx says:

To me, the Bonds are a flavor of their times, Roger Moore was the man during the 70s-80s when people wanted to be entertained during a financially tight, stagnant era. He fit the tux and the role quite well. His best, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, and somewhat, Octopussy – the one they kept promising was the next Bond for six years. His tongue-in cheek style was a break from all the menace, it still is needed. I also have read many stories of Moore’s humanity and decency so for his family and friends, my condolences.

5. First, go catch “Everything or Nothing” which is an excellent documentary about the film series, centered on the Broccolli family, mainly http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2366308/

Second, it’s George Lazenby, not Roger, and his is a strange tale, (it’s discussed in the documentary above, and he’s also the subject of a new documentary currently running in Netflix) It’s hard to declare him the ‘worst Bond’ because none of them were at their best in the first outing.

Finally there is no single True Bond, just as there is no single True Doctor Who.

You can have your favorite Bond, of course 🙂

I never said Moore was my favorite Bond, just that he was my Bond. I still think Dalton was the best Bond.

6. Sirius Lunacy says:

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s