Ed. Pinned. Fresher posts below. O-
I often see comments about how the “spineless Dems” are not doing what someone wants them to do.
The fault, dear Brutus lies not in our stars but in ourselves, that we are underlings.
Julius Caesar, Act 1, Scene 2
The problem with that attitude is that the people are the backbone of the Democratic party. It’s our job to make our representatives stand up for what we believe in, what we know is right.
We are the backbone of the Democratic party, we are the spine of our politicians.
We need to make sure they never forget that we’re there watching, backing them up, giving them the direction and the support they need to fight the good fight.
If your representatives aren’t standing up for what you feel is right it’s your fault*, not theirs.
*I count myself as one of the people who didn’t do their job, and are to be held responsible for the current state of affairs.
A Call to Action
- Issues Activism: Focus on the things that matter to you
- Pick three issues that matter to you: equality, Supreme Court appointments, Russian investigation, etc. and stick with them
- It’s called activism not re-activism
- Don’t chase after the outrage du jour, beware “Bush Fatigue”
- Google Alerts: Be knowledgable
- Set up google alerts to keep track of these three issues in the news, twitter and blogs
- Speed dialer: Use the tools you already have
- Speak: Make your voice heard by the right people.
- Make the time to call your state and Federal Senators, your Congressional Representative, your State legislators and your local city or town council members to voice your opinion on your three issues.
- Leave a VM, speak to someone, walk into the local office
- Your Congressional Rep and State Legislators have offices in your community, local, within a reasonable distance to your home.
- Your city or town council meets in your city or town all the time. And they publish their agenda – online.
- Attend your local Democratic Party meetings
- Speak your mind or someone will speak it for you.
- If you’re not attending the meeting someone is already speaking your mind, right now. They have been for a long, long, long time. That’s how we got into this mess.
- Remember the chant: “Do Your Job! Do Your Job!”? Remember it next time your Senator, or Congressional Representative doesn’t fight for what you believe in, or some narshlog gets elected in your district, but think twice about who’s slacking off.
Always remember –Phone calls work. You can make phone calls while sitting in rush hour traffic, while having morning coffee, waiting in line at the grocery store, walking the dog, etc., etc., etc.
We are winning the biggest battles, but the war goes on.
In three months we have successfully defeated every major legislative effort to undermine our democracy attempted by the Trumps and the establishment
R’s and for the first time in my memory caused the D’s to stand up and fight back through telephone activism.
Keep fighting as if your life depended on it, because it does.