Bad Signs, Cont.

Canned Cat

Oh, dear. On the bright side, I bet it is near the tuna, the cat has that working for it.

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Jim says:

Magazine ads from 1950s and 60s major fails (except VW).

Oh, I have major fail VW ads from the ’60s and/or ’70s:

badvertising-84

Automatic Transmissions

• MDavis says:

UPDATE: I read this comment again before posting. No wonder my sense of humor is inadequate. Fail of product ad = fail of uber-psyche of the time in many cases, doesn’t it. Sheesh, I have to have everything spelled out. SMH at me.

Seems to me it’s another fail of the 60s and 70s rather than a fail of the advertisers. They were just tapping into the uber-psyche of the time.
        Remember Sambo’s restaurants? I do. We (white folks, granted, in the PNW) thought nothing of going there to get decent pancakes with the very nice syrup that Sambo provided by tricking those tigers. It was from a kid’s book, supposed to be sort of an African fairy tale, probably even meant by the author to show that Europe wasn’t the only place with teaching stories, and the chain went under when people (okay maybe ‘when white people’) started thinking differently about it. Also the illustration were ridiculously awful.

Times have changed to the point where some can be pilloried for using a near-homophone that sounds too much like a proscribed word. Think “miserly’ – I remember some teacher losing her job over a synonym.
        Growing pains ain’t no fun, and looking back on childhood dumbness is sometimes more painful than living through it the first time.

MDavis – Of course I remember Sambo’s (the story and the restaurant), the original in Santa Barbara is still there, it is a protected landmark. Let that sink in. The mural of the story is still there, inside in all of its glory. And if you should happen to go, be prepared to wait in a very, very long line. On the plus side: it is literally across the street from one of the most lovely beaches in California, so you can look at the windows instead of looking at the racism.

I have a vague memory of there being a cartoon feature, too. No doubt it was something I watched on the afternoon teevee when I got home from school while doing my homework. (Daphne’s Cartoon Castle — it was on UHF, so **technically** I was not breaking my parent’s rule about not watching network teevee without them. You can tell I was raised by lawyers.)

rgds,

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Who let the cat out of the can?

3. Osirisopto says:

That is not why we named her Won-Ton.

4. Bruce388 says:

“Do you have Prince Albert in a can?”

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s