RIP, Alan Colmes

Alan Colmes was 66. He is best known for being the original left opponent to Sean Hannity, where he was relentlessly pummeled by the orcs and paste eaters of the Right. He got precious little support from the Left, and it was a shame. My take on it was that Alan “took one for the team.” No one would have done well on Fox News, especially in those early days. Was he a fig leaf for Fair and Balanced? Yeah, probably, but he couldn’t have known it going into it. (We talked about it, in fact.)

In his subsequent radio show, Alan broke many national stories and was a consistent voice on the Left, often getting his subjects to say on record things that they have never said before. He was a very good interviewer.

Full Disclosure: Some of you know that I was a sometimes contributor at Alan’s Liberaland. He asked me himself to join the team. Alan was very kind to me, and I am grateful for his tutelage. I will personally miss him.

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to RIP, Alan Colmes

1. rabbiadar says:

I am so sorry for your personal loss as well as the loss of his generous voice and spirit.

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Anyone with half a brain would have realized that this calm, well-spoken man was light years ahead of that blowhard Hannity in the smarts department. Sure, he may have come across as a punching bag at times, but it drew attention to the fact that Hannity was a puncher. The real problem is that Americans tend to love bullies, contrary to the platitudes we mumble.

My condolences on losing a friend. Mr Colmes was an intelligent, compassionate man who had a good sense of humor. He did the best he could in a venue in which the deck was totally stacked against him.

3. lisahgolden says:

Out of my compulsion to root for the underdog, I used to watch Hannity& Colmes. I’m sorry he’s gone. Condolences, Ten.

4. laura says:

I’m sorry that your friend and colleague passed at such a young age. Please accept my condolences.

5. grs says:

Sorry for your loss, TG.

6. A.J. says:

One of the greatest interviews EVAR! was the one he did with Neal Horsley, at the time, Republican candidate for governor of Georgia. For those of you who do not know, and wonder the true spirit of “Traditional Family Values™”, go here: http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2009/04/georgia-candidate-for-governor-admits-to-bestiality/

It’s not long, but it is a wowser!

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s