Updated: Activism: Let Your Voice Be Heard

But let it be heard by those who have the power and can actually do something about it.

The Legislative branch of our government has the power to oppose the Executive branch, but only if they use it.

Force them to use it.

Call your congressperson

Call your Senators

Then call these people.

• Don’t give them money – that allows them to continue doing things the same way they are now.
  • Don’t sign up for their mailing list – that lets you lie to yourself that you’re doing something.
  • Volunteer, be a part of the solution – ask them when the next meeting in your area is and be there for each meeting between now and the DNC election. Advocate for your choice of person for the DNC Chair and most importantly advocate for the fifty state strategy.

Update: Tengrain posted this to MBRU this morning. Relevant to our situation, and a better writer than I.

Progressives Don’t Need a New Narrative

the-golden-ruleProgressives don’t need a new narrative. We already have one. We just need to stop neglecting it.

If not now, then when?
If not today, then why make your promises?
Tracy Champan
Lyrics from her song “If not now”

O-

This entry was posted in 50 State Strategy, Activism, DNC Chair, Fifty State Strategy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Updated: Activism: Let Your Voice Be Heard

1. Pupienus Maximus says:

People don’t seem to know what a narrative is. The golden rule is not a narrative – it’s a principle. “We’re for you, working class” is not a narrative – it’s a message. The D party has gotten to where it is(n’t) precisely because we don’t have a narrative. The Dems lose because they didn’t even know they needed a narrative, or thought that they had one when they didn’t. They lost because they didn’t recognize that the opponent isn’t the politician, the opponent is the conservative narrative. They didn’t lose those political races to a political opponent, they lost to a narrative.

Worse, all this talk of needing a new narrative, and that it should be “we’re for the working class” or some such non-narrative reinforces the bullshit narrative of the right.

• osirisopto says:

I think you’re right, PM.

We need to develop a narrative that resonates with the people far enough down the food chain that we can help them. Unfortunately I do visual communication. I’m not the one to develop a narrative based on rational thought.

I hope you’ll forgive me for harping on this, but we need people like you who can identify the problem to work with the PTB to find a solution and then implement it.

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one’s thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.
      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• Pupienus Maximus says:

PTB?

• osirisopto says:

Powers That Be

• Pupienus Maximus says:

Oh, thanks, don’t think I ever saw that shorthand before. I’m working on writing up what’s in my head but it’s fucking complicated. And complex. For now, I’ll just say that while we do need a narrative that resonates, but that alone is not enough to achieve our goals.

The bigger problem is in overcoming the bullshit narrative the R party has crafted, which the Dems – primarily those who’ve been in Congref – have been unwittingly reinforcing all along.

Right now I’m so fucking scared of what’s coming next I can barely think about the longer term. False flag assassination attempt? Burn the Reichstag blow some shit up maybe kill some people then blame it on terrorists and invoke the Insurrection Act as amended in 2006?

Would you be so kind as to send an email to vmweenieREPLACETHISTEXTWITHANUNDERSCORE98ATyahoo so that we can communicate directly?

Pup – here’s what Queen Victoria says is the existing, forgotten, narrative:

Your rights are my rights. Your community is my community. Your environment is my environment. When you are better off, I am better off. When you are sick, I am sick. When you are poor, I am poor. We are all in this together. So, we need to work together to uphold each others rights: rights at work, right to be free from harm, free from discrimination, free from poverty, a right to a good education, good healthcare, a right to marry who we love, to live peacefully practicing any or no religion we like. When you have a job, I have a job. When your environment is safe, my environment is safe. When you are prosperous, I am prosperous. When you are happy and well, I am happy and well. We all do our bit and everyone benefits. I care about you and you care about me. The community is better off when the community is better off. That is all that matters.

I think it would behoove us (Muffy Tepperman Lives!) to also ensure that the GOP narrative is translated back to the original Reagan: “I got mine. Fuck-off.”

• Pupienus Maximus says:

Yeah, that’s not a narrative. I’m working on a write-up but it’s …. complicated. I’ll let you know when (if!) I get it done to where it sufficiently explains the numerous complex concept-things banging around in my head.

2. 9thousandfeet says:

One quick thought here.
    Agree completely about calling our congressional reps. Completely.
    Do it.
    But it’s not enough and here’s why I think that.

If the Dems (and remnants of the GOP might still have some remaining shards of principles) are to find a spine, they will need to be driven to it. This we know because they are politicians and that’s how this shit works with just a few notable exceptions.

Phone calls help, indeed they’re essential, but thousands of people out in the streets helps (em>even more for one simple reason.
    With phone calls we cannot know how much support we have, because we cannot trust the reported numbers.
    With people in the streets we (and the world) can *see* what’s happening, and the enthusiasm for dissent is more contagious more quickly.

So.

Be polite on the phone (‘cos it’s bad form to bully powerless interns) and impolite as hell out in the street.

We need both, and considering it’s mid-winter the turnout so far has been pretty goddam good.
    But we need to keep it up and never relent for a single instant.
    These fucking Benito wannabes have to go, all of them, including Pence.

3. moeman says:

This should be fun:

Ed. Osirisopto

Link after bit.ly

4. moeman says:

“According to The New York Times, (Samantha) Bee is planning a counter-event, also in Washington, at which like-minded comedians can make all the jokes about Donald Trump they want to. Bee’s gala ― “Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner” ― is to take place on April 29, the same night as the annual White House event.”

5. moeman says:

I worked at Apple for 10 years and also did some consulting/training for BeOS™. I’ve always appreciated Jean-Louis’ take on things. This is a good read, come for the good nuggets and stay for the great link at the bottom.

Quick link to the great link (bitly’d);