Activism on any scale (Updated)

Activism doesn’t have to be big.

161113_smalscaleactivism

It has to be.

Each of us has a voice. We need to use it. We need to use it now.

We can, we must:

• Speak truth to power
  • Speak hope to friends
  • Speak fear to lovers
  • Speak in whispers
  • Speak in shouts
  • Speak out
  • Speak up
  • Speak in song
  • Speak in dance

The thing that matters is that we speak.

If you haven’t already I ask you to please call, email or fax the seven members on the DNC Leadership Council listed when you hover over the “Activism” tab above. Contact information is provided.

Ask each of them to support Howard Dean, or your choice for DNC Chair and the Fifty State Strategy. You can learn more by clicking the Activism link.

You need to do it today. tomorrow is too late. [Ed. We had misleading info; according to Politico the vote to replace the DNC Chair will not be until February or March 2017. We regret the error. — TG]

O-

This entry was posted in Activism. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Activism on any scale (Updated)

1. osirisopto says:

FYI As far as I can tell the last time the DNC published their membership roster was in 2008. And I’ve looked pretty hard.

Howard Dean was in charge in 2008.

Food for thought.

Make the calls.

2. 9thousandfeet says:

Done.
    Keep this stuff coming. Let’s do this, and reach out far and wide, and really try to grow something good, eh?

And it’s fine if we fuss at each other over details, too, in fact that’s what the democratic process is about, we’re *supposed* to fuss at each other. I

Just so we don’t lose sight of what this is about—which is what people of genuine goodwill can do when you piss them off—we’ll be fine.

3. tengrain says:

Here’s a really interesting read from *gasp* Politico that sort of runs parallel to all our own commenting on these posts.

I don’t know if it will help anyone or persuade anyone in any direction, but they lay out the arguments (pro and con) across many potential contenders, not just Dean and Ellison.

4. 9thousandfeet says:

And for fans of a wry and felicitous writing style, working in concert with dust-spittingly dry humor and keen eye for political observation, I’ll offer this little gem from the inimitable NatashaFatale.

As TG so often says, the best writing nowadays is so very often way out in the intertoob boonies.

5. osirisopto says:

Great read, TG.
    ThecWaPo article I read led me to believe the DNC leadership council was set to select the next DNC chair behind closed doors today.

I’m glad to be wrong and have more time to advocate.

We can’t afford to have a political debt be paid with appointment to this position.
    And we can’t afford another DLC hack to run things.

6. 9thousandfeet says:

The Politico piece is good.
    I’m finding the argument that the DNC chair needs to be a full time job, not something juggled with holding public office, to be quite compelling.

Compelling enough to cause me to rethink my support for Ellison, though I still have some major reservations about Dean.
    The 50 state thing is essential, but I’m nowhere near persuaded we need Dean for that, and I’m nowhere near persuaded that Dean understands what Bernie’s remarkable insurgency actually demonstrated.

If the election had not installed the odious little goon it did, the biggest story of the 2016 election cycle would would be the unprecedented spectacle of a Jewish socialist scaring the crap out of the biggest party establishment political machine in history, all while being funded by the loose change from behind the nation’s couch cushions.

I’m not at all persuaded, though I suppose I could be, that Dean appreciates the full import of that observable reality, or has the imagination to take full advantage of it.

Happily, there’s time to hash this out now, since the selection process is going to be more drawn out that I initially was led to think.

• Osirisopto says:

Yes, I was wrong. I did not mean to be misleading or alarmist. I had researched the DNC Chair election as far as I could and found only one up to date article from a reputable source.

I was unable to find any official documentation about the process or the date of the election.

I my sincere apologies and will strive even harder to get the facts straight, next time and every time in the future.

O-

• 9thousandfeet says:

No sweat. You were not the only person to gain the impression that there was going to be a fast vote on the issue.
        I had that impression from somewhere, can’t remember where, several days ago, before MPS launched the activism tab. Even Bernie’s blizzard of emails had a sense of urgency about them which fed into that narrative.

I very pleased that there will be time to hash this out thoroughly now.

The more I think about this, the more convinced I become that it’s a big job requiring both full-time focus and a solid awareness of just how far away from “politics as usual” this last elections cycle has moved us, and just what new opportunities that presents.
        For fundraising, for organizational structure, for progressive tactics, for policy options, for almost everything.

• osirisopto says:

Bernie, too?

Then I am in good company.

7. H Bob says:

How about voting ? Turnout was only around 55% of eligible voters.